Installing hardwood floor

I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid 1/2" thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before laying the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

Reply to
todd

Two questions: First, how long is the flooring warrentied for? which leads to the second, how easily do you want to be able to get it up? If you don't think you will ever have to remove it then skip the 1/4" ply, but if there is even the remotest possibility that you will have to remove it, use the 1/4" ply. I had to remove a floor that I put down with adhesive and that stuff is a mess, luckily I had used 1/4" ply under it and so even though it was a pain prying the plywood up, because I nailed it every six inches like you're supposed to, it was nothing compared to trying to clean that adhesive off the floor to put down another one. I suppose that after you pry the tile off the floor you could cover the remaining adhesive with 1/4 " ply, but you would have to worry about getting it level and prying it loose in the first place is no easy task. In my case the screws and ring shank nails came loose before the adhesive gave way. Any way that's my experience hope it helps. bc

Reply to
bc

What is the sub-floor?

In any case, the flooring should acclimate -on site- a minimum of 10 days before installation.

Joe

I would think that if your subfloor is stable and solid, you'd be fine to glue down to it. However, 1/4" ply seems a small price to pay for easier sleep. On another note, have you used this adhesive before? If not, it's a bloody mess. Gets everywhere and once dried, is a bear to remove. Key is to be very anal about cleaning as you go and be careful not to track the stuff on your feet anywhere. Another tip, get their Bostik's Adhesive Remover (the bottle, not the wipes---they work but not that great) as it cleans much better/quicker than mineral spirits. I've put down 3 rooms with Bostik's and finally on the last one, I was able to do it without too much mess. Good luck with it! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

As for the warranty, I don't actually know what (if any) warranty there is. I'm not even sure what it would be warranted against. It's just a machined piece of wood.

As for the underlayment, I'm leaning toward putting down a layer of 1/4". I don't imagine ever having to take this stuff up, but if I ever did, it would be a disaster getting it up. What would suggest using the fasten the 1/4" to the subfloor?

todd

Reply to
todd

The subfloor is 3/4" plywood. The material is sitting in the space right now. I don't know if I can wait 10 days...it will be more like 5, but it shouldn't be a problem. Mesquite is one of, if not the most dimensionally stable woods out there. It has about 1/3 the amount of dimensional change in comparison to red oak.

todd

Reply to
todd

Todd - I think you should put down the subfloor. It will make the substrate more stable, and if you have an accident or there is an unforseen accident and need to repair the floor it is much simpler than tearing out the ACTUAL subfloor down to the joists just to repair the floor. The adhesive you are using will not let go; not now, maybe not ever.

Personally, I would never direct glue. You are on the right track with a subfloor.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've always used galvinized screws or ring shank nails every six inches. bc

Reply to
bc

Good Luck!

Reply to