Installing (2002) Delta TS

Yes but a 240 V circuit has two 20 amp leads, a motor drawing 20 amps,

10 per leg.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

The OP is satisfied. I just bought a outlet to match the saw's male connector.

There's nothing like an electrical thread to create action around here. Thank you for your willingness to help!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You done good.

There are a bunch of woodworking EEs. ;-) It seems the two disciplines use some of the same mental skills.

Reply to
krw

Current (when there is a load) is the same at any place in the circuit, regardless of being 120 or 240.

Reply to
Bob Villa

krw wrote in news:ghkhlbpfmnljfsti8b697rab3upu9593ap@

4ax.com:

Looks like you're on to something.

- Sparks flying is a bad thing.

- You can glue/solder pieces together, but it's not always a good idea.

- You can never have too many clamps/outlets.

- Measure twice, cut once applies to electricity too. (Measure, power good, cut off at breaker, measure again, no power, probably safe to work.)

- You don't have to match colors to make things work, but not doing so is the sure sign of a clueless hack. (Intentional mismatching is ok.)

- Hand planes and wire strippers remove the outer surface of the workpiece.

- Copper turns green with age, so do trees.

- Running the wood backwards through the saw won't reattach it... Not even if you swap the motor leads.

- The sun can be used to generate wood or electricity.

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes, in the circuit external to the motor but not if the motor itself is considered. The voltage across each winding is 120V and the current in each is 10A, whether it's wired as 120V (parallel windings) or 240V (series).

Reply to
krw

However a more that needs 20 amps at 110 volts only needs 10 at 220.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's because it gets 10 amps on Each of Two legs at the same time (I think "legs" is the right word, I could be wrong).

Reply to
Bill

Have at it, you're set to make sawdust ... no further need for bits and bytes.

Reply to
Swingman

.... Unless he's using Austrailian electricity or has a Canadian saw/sideways breaker box!?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

, regardless of being 120 or 240.

Even though this is not DC...Ohm's Law says your theory is wrong. I=E/R, if you double the voltage you halve the current. Also, wattage would prove that out. The same motor wired 240, would draw half what it did on 120. On single phase, the neutral (white or ground) is the center-tap of the power transformer. That's why it's half the voltage.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

20 amp circuit breaker is fine.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Thank you! But I rather enjoy the bits and bytes that connect me with other folks, such as yourself!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I get it. I'm also gently reminded/informed that a 240V circuit is Not the equivalent of two 120v circuits.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

But you do realize that the 240 in your home is made up of 2 out of phase 120 circuits...

Reply to
Leon

Yes, that's most-surely what led to my confusion about the way a 240v circuit works... So, a 240v circuit apparently doesn't have a direction....or rather, it has 2 directions at the same time, from one leg to another, and vice-versa.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

...half of your 120 volt circuits would be out of phase with the other half. And there are 120 direction changes (60 cycles) in one second.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I get it! Thanks! Am I the only one here who didn't know that? :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It is, really, except that the two circuits are out of phase, so they add (if they were in-phase, they'd subtract).

Yes, on the pole, and the neutral is brought into the panel. However, there is no neutral in this (240V) circuit. It's not needed because the saw doesn't use 120V (if wired for 240V).

Reply to
krw

Does the Australian electricity turn the other way?

Reply to
krw