Inscribing hexagon in circle

On 5/21/2009 1:25 PM alexy spake thus:

Wrong. I asked for a proof, and that's exactly what I wanted. Didn't have to be a "2-column" proof[1], nor a particularly rigorous one, but I wanted a step-by-step proof, not just another redundant demonstration.

Please don't make assumptions like this. You're not a very good mind-reader.

[1] Having run across this term repeatedly while searching for geometry stuff on the web, it seems this has nothing whatever to do with formal mathematics, but is just the latest fashion for educator's preferred format for making schoolkids do geometry proofs.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Although I wasn't referring to your projects, but to the topic of rulers, I have done several projects for which I don't remember using any measuing or marking, but just sort of free-handing it as you go. I think there ar many times when you need a thing, but have no parameters or requirement the size of any part of it.

There's a bit of freedom and catharsis in it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I can't tell is I "wooshed" you or you, me. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I never disputed that. I stand by my conjecture that you did not want a formal proof.

Never heard of it.

An informal proof that is not rigorous is What I describe below.

Sounds like I was spot-on.

A formal proof would be relatively worthless in this situation, and is clearly not what you wanted, given your acceptance of non-rigorous informal proofs.

Reply to
alexy