Inca bandsaw pulley needed

Gentlemen, I was recently given a small Inca bandsaw. I'd say its about a 10.5" saw. It has no pulley on the shaft. It is a 15mm shaft, for which I can find no pulleys. Any ideas on where to get a pulley for this thing? A manual would be nice too, as long as I'm foraging. There is no model number on the saw, that I can find. Maybe it was a sticker that fell off years ago. Please copy the email below on any responses, in addition to the group. Thanks for any ideas. Geroge snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
George

Contact

they were the importers of Inca until Inca went south.

Jim in Milwaukee

Reply to
stinky

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (George) wrote in news:6dfa66df.0406160753.4c93f661 @posting.google.com:

Sounds like a 340. Measure the throat. If it is around 10.5", it is a

340. If it is around 8", it is a 205. I assumue it is not a three wheeler.

Both the 340 and the 205 are direct drive from the motor.

The 'manual' is the worst piece of crap it has been my displeasure to read - to put it politely. It is horribly written in French, German, and English and manages to make little sense and convey only minimal information in all three languages. I read English and German and thought that perhaps both had been poorly translated from French. A friend who reads French looked over the French sections and suggested they might be a poor translation from Finnish or Tagalog.

If you cannot find a copy, let me know and I'll mail a copy of useable pages to you - did I mention that it is a copy of a copy of a copy, or looks like that.

The parts diagram would likely be the most help to you. Unfortunately the parts diagram does not come with a key - that's right, just a poor drawing of a part and a very long number.

Other than that, they are a great little saw with the only potential issue being the dovetailed mitre slot and guage.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Inca went south?

Reply to
Rumpty

"Rumpty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Garrett Wade will no longer import them. There was a west coast importer in LA - don't know if they are still importing.

Inca itself apparently moved operations to France.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

look in your local yellow pages under bearings and power transmission. these kind of folks also deal in industrial drive chain. they will carry pullies without a hole. they may offer the boring service, or you may need to take it to a machine shop. it won't be expensive.

Reply to
bridger

Thanks for the replys. I have Garrett Wade guys checking into it. They are supposed to call me back today (the bandsaw technicians, that is). This must be an older saw. It is not direct drive...which the 340 is?? If I could put a picture on here somehow, I would, so you could see it. George

Reply to
George Worth

LA - don't know if they are still importing.

Ah, that's good news they are still alive, I knew GW stopped importing, I guess GW needed more floor space to stock kitchen and yuppie ware.

Now that sucks, I used to work for a French company.......

Reply to
Rumpty

George, actually the 340 was offered with belt drive as an option; this makes sense as it is easy to change speeds or go to a larger motor. the direct drive unit used a special motor that mounted to the saw frame, seems to me that it would be hard to find a replacement motor. Strange as it sounds they also had an option that used a drill motor?? At any rate I have a manual that I can copy for you, it also has parts list. If necessary I can measure the pulleys on my saw for you. 15mm is .590 so you could easily adapt a pulley for a 1/2 " shaft. The Inca 340 is considered by many to be the best small bandsaw made, it is well constructed and designed, you can even resaw with it. e-mail me if I can help you with it. Jim A.

Reply to
Jim Akins

"Jim Akins" wrote in news:VOuAc.74247$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

In fact, if you have a copy of Duginske's 'Band Saw Handbook' many (most?) of the resaw photo's were shot on the Inca. I bought one after noting the conspicuous use in the book and I have never been disappointed. Paper thin, repeatable resaws - within the dimensions of the machine. Properly tuned, you can balance a nickel on the table with the saw running. I've even done it while making a cut. This is on direct drive - I think the mass of the motor may make up for the aluminum and plastic used elsewhere.

I did not know the 340 had a belt drive option. I don't think it would be too hard to rig up a belt drive if you had to replace the motor. Seems like you could pull the motor shaft and mount a pully on it.

Is your manual any better than the English/German/French translation from Klingon that I got? I love the saw, but for the money I really expected a better manual.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The manual I have is probably the same as yours, it does have the instructions for mounting the motor and determining saw speed. The only problem I can see in converting a direct drive to belt drive is providing a bearing for the lower belt. Mine has a large bearing holder that bolts in place of the motor in a direct drive. At first it was difficult to get it to track, but I finally got the hang of it. Although I have an older Delta 14" saw I find myself using the Inca most of the time. Jim A.

Reply to
Jim Akins

"Jim Akins" wrote in news:f5NAc.74703$% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

Here's hoping I don't have to find out! Did notice a bit in the manual about speeds for different materials, but never could find a way to do it and wrote it off to the bad manual. So far I've done ok just modifying the feed rate. LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser