If you could ...

What you have is about the size of a four car garage. If I had the whole three car garage, I'd have enough space, but no separate room for the DC, compressor, or finishing.

I also work on cars though and I'm thinking about space for a lift. And it would be nice to have a separate area for pottery and a kiln and other things like stained glass or sculputre. My 14yo daughter would spend a lot of time there. Then I start thinking that it would be nice to have a sparate weight room so I can work out after the kids go to bed and not worry about the noise. Oh, then I can put in a hottub... and a separate bathroom so I can just change over there rather than having to come back to the main house. Then a few months ago my wife (who worked in an emergency room and is staunchly anti-pool with little kids around) agreed that a pool would be ok if it were indoors in a separate building and could be locked up. Then I could swim in the winter. lol Anyone got a spare million lying around?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Not enough space for a completely separate room. Wish there was.

Dust will be an issue. Still going to have to clean up the shop and run the air cleaners for a while before spraying. But better than what I have now. The back yard in good weather and taking the whole shop out of service to apply a finish schedule in bad weather or in the fall when the leaves are dropping. And no exhausting or containment of overspray in the shop.

On the addition, on either side of a drive in door there is a short (5') dead corner. Going to make each a closet that will house the two items. Sound and dust containment

The run is considered dry, protected, and isolated from contact so I'm considering Type-SER cable, however, would need to go to 4/3 wg to get the 60 amps. If I pull through conduit, I can go to #6 instead of #4. SER would be easier, I think.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

If I was starting over again I would first decide exactly what type of things I wanted to make, build, turn. I'd stick with one area ie. turning or carving or furniture etc. until I became "expert" at it.

I'd talk to those that I admire that do the same type of work. I'd pick their brain for advice much as you are doing here. I find a good mentor. I'd take lessons.

I'd start with the minimum number of tools I could get by with and they would be the best I could afford. I'd think twice or thrice before buying a new tool once the basics were bought.

I'd do it for my own pleasure rather than selling at least until my own and family needs for what I produced was satisfied. I would enter competitions if available in the field I chose.

Then I might try selling, but on my terms at my prices for quality work!

For what its worth

Bob London, Ontario

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bob

[...]

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bob

[...]

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bob

[...]

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bob

Well, it was unrealated to this forum, but I taught adult HS dropouts (the PC term is "non-completers") how to use computers in a business setting. I taught word processing, database and spreadsheet design, operating system manipulation. I had 480 class hours and I beat up on them.

But any who passed were hireable ... and that was the goal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That page is now a permanent part of the hard-copy manual I am making for myself. Page one.

I am just now learning (thunk, thunk, thunk ... anyone in there?) about good tools vs cheaply made tools.

I still think that the best overall strategy includes a mix of top end tools and barely-adequate tools. And I think that it takes actual shop experience to know where to shave the corners and where to pay top dollar.

When I came into a LOT of "rough-sawn but worth having" salvage stock (including 10/4 tamarind) I bought a jointer and a planer ... at HF. Though miles away from being 'top end', the jointer is more than adequate for my current, and currently envisioned, uses. But that planer is on the jettison list because of an inherent design flaw ... the table moves rather than the head. That makes it effectively impossible to give it larger feed tables and reduce or eliminate the snipe.

I scraped my knee on that one, but, because it didn't nick me for big bucks, I didn't shoot my foot off. I now have enough experience that I will be able to purchase my next one in a reasonably intelligent fashion.

Would I buy HF again? Maybe.

Their nitrile gloves seem to be plenty good enough to protect my hands from finishes and adhesives. Their 8 pc lathe tool set is (and I HAVE now bought a few high-end tools) an excellent value for the money. I would urge new turners to begin there and build out from that starting point. Their bar clamps work about like brand-name bar clamps of similar design. Their respirators seem to meet the same standards as others with the same gubmint ratings.

I doubt if I'll ever buy another of their lathes (I own two)and I am MUCHO not happy about having to order replacement blades for the planer and the jointer online.

The old principle still applies ... caveat emptor. That is, let the 'buyer beware'. Not all HF stuff is of inadequate quality, not everything at Woodcraft or Rocklers is worth hauling home, either. Sit up straight, look directly ahead, get rid of that gum and fer cryin' out loud, pay attention!

If someone is a hobbyist I would urge them to go slowly with major tool acquisitions, taking the time to do careful research. If a business person, there is no substitute for knowing your business ... all of it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Now that makes some sense. I guess I'm spoiled by having the circut breaker for the house on one wall of the shop.

Yep. I was poking fun at the guys who say [ I've got a 4,000 square foot shop, but if I'd have been thinking ahead, I'd have made it

12,000 feet, because there just isn't enough room! ]

400 square feet is a little tight, but you can still do some good work in a space that size.

Reply to
Prometheus

Aha! The plot thickens. I guess I can't argue with that, as I've been contemplating expanding the shed so I can start a machine shop to complement the wood shop. Start adding multiple uses in, then I can see the value of a giant building. I just have this persistant image of people making pukey ducks in aircraft hangers when someone claims they need over 2000 sq feet for a woodworking hobby. (A business is, of course, a different story altogether)

Reply to
Prometheus