Hygience glueing a chopping board

Most folks can find a piece of rope and a stick, and use a tourniquet as a clamp... that's how I reglue chairs. Most woodworkers wouldn't use a bench vise for gluing anyway, they'd much more likely use parallel clamps rather than tie up the vise for many hours. =================================================================================== Two boards as fences and wedges work well also.

Reply to
CW

I'll bet she remembers. I'm using a board my dad cut for my sister who painted a design on the back. It was a mother's day present in the early 60's. The design is nearly gone-- but sis burned her initials in it. I should probably wrap it up and give it one of her grandchildren. Nah-- I like it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'd rip it along the seam, lose 1/8" of width, and re-glue it rather than trying to fill the gap.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

--------------------------------------------------------- isw wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- Those must be some very LARGE balloons you are using.

What did you have in mind?

Might want to consider soap and water.

BTW, what are the particle sizes of the saw dust you suggest using. Think you might have a real sanitary issue as compared to micro-balloons.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So does the weight of a cement block. There are many ways to apply pressure for gluing, with small odd shaped items rubberbands work very well... spring clothespins work in many instances too. The point is that serious wood workers don't do any gluing on their workbench or with their carpenter's bench vise... invariably glue oozes and makes a difficult to remove mess. I still remember back in JHS woodworking class one wise ass glued all the wood jawed bench vises shut.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Yeah, all those huge corporations make wood filler by the freight train car loads as a joke... and all you can do is flap your lying gums... next you're at the big box hardware stores check out the wood filler, from two ounce tubes to five gallon buckets... professional cabinet making shops buy those buckets by the pallet, and naturally they have money and labor to waste, according you idiots like you. Plastic Wood and other commercial wood fillers IS sawdust with epoxy, dummy!

Reply to
Brooklyn1

A few of them use a polyester material (very characteristic smell -- not like epoxy), and you can recognize them because they come with a catalyst you have to mix in. Most wood fillers just use a solvent-based glue (another very characteristic odor), and don't adhere as well to wood as epoxies do, plus, they shrink as the solvent evaporates.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

because wood filler will not work.

Quite right. Epoxy is the obvious choice -- just give it time to cure. If, for some reason, you can't find epoxy, go in search of a polyurethane resin. It's an industrial product and its fumes will kill your children and pets.

Reply to
George M. Middius

A vise? No, bar clamps.

Reply to
George M. Middius

Maybe the board in question is large and would be expensive to replace.

Reply to
George M. Middius

The average home wood kitchen board costs like $10... but I'd attempt to repair even a small board if only for the challenge... a couple dabs of glue is no big investment. And if not used within its relatively short shelf life glues become unusable so if ya got it may as well use it before it goes bad.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

>> because wood filler will not work.

Making ones own wood filler is a waste of time and effort. The only reason commercial wood fillers fail is because people do not properly prepare the surface... home made will fail as well. Using wood filler is is like welding metal, if the surfaces are properly prepped and the rest of the directions are followed the joint becomes the strongest part. People who say commercial wood filler fails it's only because they don't know what they are doing, most likely illiterates who can't read the directions. Making ones own wood filler when commercial wood fillers are readily available is tantamount to making ones own house paint.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Do they match the color of the wood like dust from the same piece does?

Reply to
J. Clarke