How to cut an access panel in formica?

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe

12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is .5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole. But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to "re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest, straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

Reply to
LurfysMa

Thomas Kendrick

You might want to use a "down-cut" jigsaw blade to complete the cuts. Maybe even use painters tape over the cuts to help prevent chipping the laminate. I think. Tom

Reply to
tom

Use the painters tape before the cut? That is, cut through the tape?

Reply to
LurfysMa

Why not set the saw blade to cut all the way through?

I only have access to one side unless I unload the entire worksurface and pull it away from the wall. There is maybe 4" between the back panel and the wall.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Have you thought about fishing a new phone line without cutting the back panel at all?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Are you fixing a phone line or do you need the access door for some other purpose as well?

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I think that would be a lot more work. It's in a home office on the second floor on an interior wall.

I need the access panel anyway to retrieve pens and pencils and gum drops that fall back there! ;-)

Reply to
LurfysMa

At the moment, just to fix the phone line. But I also have a lot of power cords and cat5 cables back there. It would be handy to have an access panel. I have wanted one on several other occasions. I thought about taking the back panel to someone to make an access panel when I first bought the unit. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

Reply to
LurfysMa

LurfysMa wrote:Use the painters tape before the cut? That is, cut through the tape? Yes, exactly. Tom

Reply to
tom