How much natural oil does wood have

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain any n= atural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel? I want to make so= me boxes that will be in contact with items, or contain items that will eve= ntually be in contact with, high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried th= at these natural oils could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for = this type of application?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Rathnow

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for this type of application?

-------------------------------- Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Line the inside of the boxes with "mole skin" and the problem won't exist.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

Reply to
Steve Turner

As a note, it's the tannin in oak that creates tannic acid in conjunction w/ moisture that's the actual culprit w/ oak and to a lesser extent, walnut, not "oils".

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Swingman

Dave Rathnow wrote in news:12697834.524.1328481413281.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yquu38:

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of the standard ways of *protecting* steel.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Keep laughing guys. It's Oak rust brought down the Eiffel Tower, now didn't it. Or *did* it?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Robatoy

a coat of oil is one of

I am thinking he meant to say acids in the wood. I thought the oil would be ok too. I wish Bocote did not have oil.... or what ever it is in that wood that gums up sand paper very very quickly....as does Cocobolo.

Reply to
Leon

And don't forget Oak'n'ah'wa.

Reply to