How many 6" jointer threads can we have? 1 more :)

Table Saw's one of the four cornerstone tools in a shop. This would be on my "Buy First" list.

If budget is very tight - you can get by without this. If budget is tight, and you've got a lot of dados to cut - there are inexpensive, but workable offeringes. This would be on my "Buy Third" list.

Band Saw's one of the four cornerstone tools in the shop. That said, I got along for a year with a good jigsaw (Bosch, Milwaukee). I got along for another few months with a $99 Delta Shopmaster Bandsaw from Lowes. When I popped for the 14" Jet - things got much easier. This would be on my "Buy Second" list.

Jointer is the third of the four cornerstone tools in the shop. Again - if you buy it - you'll find yourself using it all of the time. But you can buy S4S, or use the other tools to get by. This would be on my "Buy Second" list.

Router would be on my "Buy First" list. See

for recommendations on a good first router. I would not buy a router table immediately. I would buy the bits as I need them. I use 1/8" roundover a-lot! I use 1/4 and 1/2" roundovers much less.

Spiral bit and edge guide for the router? Hmm - edge guide not necessarily on my buy-first list. One came with my PC router kit (PC 693VSPK) and I've never used it it. Spiral bit? Yes - I use my Whiteside flush trim spiral up-cut alot.

A drill press would be on my "Buy Second" list. I went with a 12" reconditioned Delta Benchtop for $125 from ToolKing and do not regret it.

When it comes to bits - you should *invest* in a good set of one of: Brad Points, Forstners and "regular' plain 'ol" bits. I invested in a good set of Brad Points (WL Fuller and Lee Valley have good ones). I went with a cheap set of Forstners (and have been replacing them one at a time, as needed, with better ones). For regular bits, I like to pick up Black and Decker sets from WalMart. I don't feel bad about tossing them when they're dull.

I started off with a cheapo sanding drum from Harbor Freight. Did the job.

Hmmm... Yeah - they're only a few bucks. But to build furniture, I think you'll need something like an accurate combination square. I invested in a Starrett.

You'll never have too many clamps. I started off with some Harbor Freight and Big Lot bar clamps. Super cheap. Slowly, they're getting replaced with Besseys (I do like those new Irwin bar clamps!) I wouldn't buy a ton of C-clamps, maybe four tops. They have limited use in furniture making (they can squeeze too hard). Nor am I a fan of pipe clamps, I prefer bar clamps.

Reply to
patrick conroy

John Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

You have the table saw already, right?

The dado stack should cost about $100 (Freud SD208 will do nicely; there are others. And you'll use this for many other projects.

I don't see where this project would require a band saw. There are only two pieces with curves, and there are many ways to make those curves, without spending the money on the band saw. That said, you MAY in the future decide you need a band saw; just not for this project.

If you have your tablesaw properly set up, there won't be all that much for the jointer to have to do. Mostly, cleaning up the rip surfaces on the many, many, many boards. Sanding, a good handplane (#5 or larger), a 'glue-line rip' blade, your new router table...

The router is a necessary tool. Buy a good one. Make your own table and simple fence. Do you homework at

I don't know of anybody more knowledgable, or more pragmatic, regarding these useful tools, than Pat. Should you decide that you wish to do business with him, for some of his goodies, you will find him refreshingly easy and straightforward to work with.

The drill press is a useful tool, although you could probably get by with an electric hand drill, unless the plans have you cutting a bunch of mortises with the drill press. Since there are a bunch of ways to do this joinery, and I haven't seen THESE plans, it's hard to tell. I bought a $350 floor standing variable speed Delta last winter, and have been pleasantly surprised by just how much use I've gotten from it. A benchtop model on a rolling stand might be just fine for your needs.

Clamps. Clamps. Clamps. Can't have too many. You CAN have the wrong kind, and you can spend a lot more than you need to. But that wasn't really what you were asking about in this list, was it?

What I see missing, at least from my perception of how I would build this project, is a means of repeatably thicknessing stock to size. A benchtop size planer, with a stand, would be on my list. I have been very satisfied with the Emerson-era Ridgid TP 1300 I got at Home Depot. Lots of folks who hang out here have expressed opinions on planers. Check them out.

Have fun with this, and more importantly, congratulations on the addition to the family!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Not to start an argument, but... :) My joke has been a great purchase. Others have mentioned long waits, and I did wait a short time for mine to be delivered, but the machine is excellent for the price. It was worth the wait. That said, I'm sure others, of equal or greater quality, possibly without the wait, are available.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney

This is exactly how I do mortising. Spiral upcut bit and edge guide with plunge router. Very handy.

Reply to
Brian

Wasn't a knock on the machinery, as I'm sure it is up to par with all the other Chinese imports. But the joke is their service rep saying "next week" for months on end.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I think it depends on the level of the tool. Grizzly "industrial" stuff is nearly the same price as "name brand" stuff, and of decent quality. It's the low-end consumer grade stuff that's cheaper. I was recently noticing that I can get a DJ-30 and a Grizzly 12" jointer for about the same price.

Higher end Delta stuff compares favorably with General and Powermatic. Lower end Delta stuff is crap, lower end Powermatic is often gold painted Jet, and General International is the same as Grizzly.

I have some of each!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Again, all the chinese/taiwanese imports are very alike. Griz and Delta and Jet and side by side reveal very little difference in terms of castings of the trunions, tables, etc in the realm of cabinet saws, jointers, etc. Been there, done that. It's the same stuff, and in fact so similar I'd be hard pressed to believe most of it didn't come from the same factory abroad. These machines are spec'ed the same, feel the same while operating, and for the most part look the same down to the nitty gritties. My point was simply that to truly differentiate these machines from others, one would have to bring General International or Powermatic into play for real uniqueness. Because once you move down from there to albeit lower priced metal, you're getting damn close to the same thing from just about any branded tool.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Ever see a DJ-15?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

castings of

Barry, pardon me for interrupting, but I think the point of the post was to discuss comparisons within the same "class" of tool. The DJ-15 is both more expensive and designed differently than other 8" "Chiwanese" jointers. I believe the accurate comparison between Grizzly, Jet and Delta 8" models, from both a price and design standpoint, would include Delta's 37-380 8" model instead. The Delta DJ15 and DJ20 are steps above and beyond the point of the disccusion, with all due respect.

-Ronn

Reply to
Will

Yeah, I wanted to point out that the machine is fine. I didn't have to wait for months, but I am hearing more and more stories of that kind of service. It's a shame. I hope they get their act together.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney

Sure. Ever see a G9859?

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Yes, I did. It came about 6 weeks after I submitted the claim form.

Reply to
Newbie Woodworker

I have now!

I brought up the DJ-15 because it's so different than the typical Chiwanese 6" machine that this thread is about.

What would a $2000 8" machine have to do with them?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Exactly. A local guy recently could not sell a used DJ-15, as none of his ad responders knew what it was.

He was asking $400 when it finally sold.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Stopped in at Grizzly.com to take a look and found the G9859Z also. Someone in marketing slipped up editing the copy for this one. A helical

8" wide head with only 3 blades:-) Joe
Reply to
Joe Gorman

Nothing, really. Grizzly hasn't produced a 6" with this design. But now, consider the DJ-20. Prior to freight charges, its darn close to G9859. So an in-depth comparison of the two would be quite interesting. I *think* they use the (exact) same non-dovetailed table adjusting mechanism (is there a name for it?). Sure does make ya wonder.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

It is very similar The Grizz dosen't have the DJ-20's kick ass infeed table, but I think it has more power. Then there's the lever vs. wheel preference thing. Having used both, I can really care less which one a jointer has.

What's really weird is that I can buy a DJ-20 locally for $1350. The Grizz is $2156 delivered. I can get a DJ-30 for about $2400!

This makes my point dead on about Grizzly's higher end tools. They really AREN'T cheaper than the "Name Brand" folks when you compare apples to apples, but they look nice. I think you gets what you payz for, no matter who makes it.

That Grizz really looks like a nice tool, do you have one?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

No. I have a lowly G0500. ;-) Love it, though. So smooth. I've seen that one in action though. It is impressive.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Actually, the G9859 is $1959 delivered if you buy today!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

And, as long as we're going there, I can get a 12" Grizzly G4178 for $2103 to my door, or G9860 for $2,653.00!

Reply to
Brian