How do you "Fold' bandsaw blade?

Not a website, but I just hold it apart in both hands and twist in opposite directions, it divides itself into three circles, grab some tape or some thin wire to hold in place.

Reply to
Roger Martin

Mark L.

vrhorton

Can someone direct me to a website or tell me how to "fold" or "pack" bandsaw blade.

Thank

Reply to
WD

Thanks, last week I spend hours trying and cut myself on my hand and arm trying, I would love to see pictures of the steps, you might say a picture is worth a thousand words.

I still remember seeing it either on a woodworking magazine or a website.

Thanks, I appreciate it, I got three blades to ""fold".

Reply to
WD

wear gloves to protect your hands.

dave

WD wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

WD notes:

First, wear gloves until you get the hang of it.

Second, FWW a couple years ago had a decal that you could past on your saw. I was in Highland Hardware when John White was there and got one from him.

Third, wear gloves when you toss the thing to open it (toss it onto a WOOD floor, too, not concrete). I caught one on my right thumbnail a couple years ago. Took nearly a year for the nail to heal.

Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

again that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Note to the OP: once you "get it", you'll find that it's like riding a bicycle; you will never forget how.

Doug Miller

Done properly, it will hold itself in place. Try it with a small rubber band. Hold the top and 'roll' the bottom along a surface. It will fall into three circles, and show you how it moves, so as to know what to expect.

Dan.

Reply to
Danny Boy

Hello, Go to the "Fine Woodworking" web site; they have a small video you can download on how to fold a bandsaw......I keep it handy, sometimes forget .....

Reply to
George Berlinger

Maybe until you get the hang of doing it right, I guess. I've never found a need for gloves. Maybe I just have thicker skin...

Doug Miller

Dead easy - easier than unfolding them.

Take blade in a single loop. Place one loop under foot.

With hand holding top of loop, give two careful half twists. Allow blade to pack down itself into three neat loops.

Tie off with piece of twine / twist tie.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Can you teach me how to ride a bicycle again? :-)

Here's what happen!

Two weeks ago I received my new band saw plus two new blades. Tried the first new blade, no good! Before I replaced it, I tried "folding" it, using the "folded" one as sample, keep on trying and keep on getting it wrong until the folded one unfold itself. Now, I have no sample to follow and with bloody hands (cuts all over).

Dumb Huh?

Reply to
WD

If you live anywhere near Indianapolis, email me (see sig for real email address). Come to my shop, and I'll be happy to show you how to coil a bandsaw blade. Otherwise... you could post your location and see if there's someone else on the group near you.

Doug Miller

Reply to
Mark L.

Oh well, it still folds up OK so I don't need to know where the other loop disappeared.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

You obviously ain't never got some blades made up by Do-All's Cro-Magnon blade welder "Willie D." - ( You know. The Hair Face with the Metallica wife-beater t-shirt), who's managed to fold 189" blades into FOUR coils. Had to take them outside and throw them into the field next door to unwind them. I've always had nigthmares of slicing off one of my ears or spitting my nose lengthwise unwinding one of our 2 TPI x 1" blades.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

You obviously ain't never got some blades made up by Do-All's Cro-Magnon blade welder "Willie D." - ( You know. The Hair Face with the Metallica wife-beater t-shirt), who's managed to fold 189" blades into FOUR coils. Had to take them outside and throw them into the field next door to unwind them. I've always had nigthmares of slicing off one of my ears or spitting my nose lengthwise unwinding one of our 2 TPI x 1" blades.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

My saw takes a 130" bandsaw blade. A 1 1/4" folder blade is a scary thing when it comes time to unfold it.

While having some rough stuff resawn on a big handsaw mill I asked the operator how he unfolded his big blades. He walked off, came back with a coiled blade, undid the twist ties and said "like this" and he threw it out into the field. With a "put my teeth on edge" TWANG it sprung open - teeth trying to bite something or someone.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b