how big of lathe?

I'm looking at adding a lathe to help drill some 4x4's (among other turning projects). Basically the hole would be dead center in one end. The 4x4 would anywhere from 2.5ft - 3.5ft in length, and the hole would be 1" diameter going in like 6" deep. Can I use a mini-lathe? thanks.

Reply to
1800rob

Yes. but have to make the lathe bed longer.

Reply to
cselby

Maybe if you stay closer to the 2.5 feet. Even with an extension, most minis have a capacity of only 40" or so as per manufacturer, but like many, I find that to be pretty optimistic.

You will have to mount your piece, true it, then drill through the tailstock since it would be suicide to "chuck up" a piece that much longer than it is wide. And since you are drilling through the tailstock, it means you will be limited to about a 5/16" hole on most, as samll as 1/4 on others.

I drill on my lathe frequently, but it is to accomodate project kits, or to get a hole started for hollowing. The lathe will not replace a radial drill press, and further, if you drill anything over a few inches, you will have bit drift so bad you won't believe you aren't breaking bits.

When I drill a small body out (12 inches or so), I now drill the blank first (after trueing), and then use the holes as the new centers.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

if you're talking construction grade lumber, a lathe is the wrong tool. a drill press is much more to the point, and a jig with a handheld drill is probably better yet.

if you're talking furniture grade wood and you need the accuracy the lathe can offer, you'll need a much bigger lathe.

Reply to
bridgerfafc