Help with Joint Gluing Problem

rosewood feels so good. Maple always felt "cold" to me. It seems kind of rare to see a rosewood necked J-bass.

Good tune, as well. That bass, as well as your playing, has a very nice, smooth tone,without losing clarity. EMGs sound nice. My PJ is a 71, and is also loaded up with them.

Does your MM have the stock, active pickups? Those could put out an interesting growl with frets, I'll bet without them, it sounds great.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ahhhh, that neck! ... it's where its at. It feels better, far longer, than any woman you ever put your hands on. Recently played a 63 P-bass with a rosewood neck that had the same feel. AAMOF, it was so uncannily like the '61's neck that I forgot which one I was playing.

I don't know how Leo did it, but I would love to get that neck shape down and be able to clone it in the shop. You would think that being a woodworker it woudl be an easy thing to duplicate. You can get close, but it still doesn't feel right.

Dave Wintz with Robin Guitar's, an old friend, is about the only one who has come close on basses. In the early day of Robin Guitars I played a couple of his prototypes and realy liked the necks, but of course I already had "the" bass, so never kept one.

EMGs sound nice. My PJ is

The EMG PJ's are a good configuration. I like EMG's in the studio because you can get a wide range of tones out of one bass. Depending upon the amp and gig, I might use a SansAmp on stage, but never really need it in the studio with the EMG's.

Yep. It also has a piezo bridge pickup, which can make it sound very acoustic when blended in just right. I've got a set of Thomastic Infields on it, but need to find something with a little more zing. For some reason cheap and cheezy always sounds better with a fretess. I bring both to gigs in a double case, but almost always play the '61. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Are you sure it still had a P-bass neck? Jazz basses have that skinnier profile at the top, and there are lots of P basses out there with J necks.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Just a followup as a way of saying thanks again...I went with my wife's uncle up the road to another of her uncles...this guy has a full workshop with every power tool known to humankind (I didn't know this)...including a band saw, which took care of shaping things in just a few minutes, then we got things glued in place and clamped. Tomorrow or the next day we're going to run it through the planer table and get the sides straight...And then I get to sand and finish the thing.

Only problem is, they kind of took the project away from me and did all the work! That's probably for the best I suppose... :-D

Okay, go back to your Fender discussion...wish I had a bass like that...

Reply to
mickey