Help / advice needed for routing a tapered groove

I would like to learn a technique for consistantly routing a tapered groove in a 3/4" piece of wood. It needs to start (or end) at zero and taper within a length of 2" to 3/4 in depth (basically ending with a hole) The groove will be 1/2" wide. Thanks!

Reply to
pmaszak

Get 2 sticks. Taper them down from 3/4 to 0 at the lenght you want. Glue them to a bit of MDF/PLY. Cut a slot in the board to accomodate a router bit and guide bushing. Or cut 2 more sticks and glue them to the other side as a router guide (parallel and as wide as the router base - like railroad tracks that the router will slide back and forth between). You now have a jig. Clamp the board to the work piece and route the taper.

Pete

and >I would like to learn a technique for consistantly routing a tapered

Reply to
cselby

At that angle, won't the base of the router be in the way of tipping it at such a sharp angle??

dave

Reply to
David

You're prolly right.

If so, use Kentucky Windage to add some to the angled sticks but watch out that the router bit does not end up extended an unsafe distance.

Now that the first reply has given you the basic shapes, sketch the problem on a sheet of paper.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

If I understand correctly this groove is "tapered" from to to bottom. If so, you could make an angled block or ramp for a router to ride on. If necessary for your application you could make a base for the router with a matching slope, that would ride on the ramp attached to the work piece. This would keep the router perpendicular to the workpiece, so that the sidewall at the end of the groove was perpendicular to the face of the workpiece also.

Reply to
lwasserm

| I would like to learn a technique for consistantly routing a tapered | groove in a 3/4" piece of wood. It needs to start (or end) at zero | and taper within a length of 2" to 3/4 in depth (basically ending | with a hole) The groove will be 1/2" wide.

If I didn't have a lot of these to cut, I'd consider a pair of 1x ramps, a chisel, and a router plane.

Morris Dovey

Ding! We have a winner.

Reply to
CW

We know you Morris, you'd just program G01 X2. Z-.75.

Reply to
CW