Hand hewn beam photos

I've put some pictures of a hand hewn beam in a 200 year old barn up on flicker on the odd chance that somebody might want to know what one looks like.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not the first hand hewn beams I've seen but many thanks for the photos.

Max

Reply to
Max

Thanks for posting those interesting photos. I couldn't help but wonder at the amount of human energy required to produce and lift those beams. It's Thanksgiving day and we ought to be greatful for the tools we have these 200 years later to help us minimize the labor inherent in those photos.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Happened to ask the greater family what they were thankful for. Great granddaughter Mireya said, "I'm thankful for the leaves." I had to think a brief moment, then thought of the beautiful colors, layering the ground, etc, etc

Yes, thank God for the leaves. A beautiful sentiment.

Probably helps that she doesn't have to rake them.

Reply to
DanG

Replaced a few (elm though, not oak) in the old barn when I was a teenager. It IS a lot of work!!!!!! Even just sqaring the ends and flatting the top.

Reply to
clare

I thought you were going to say, "so everyone can fit at the table". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Just the thought of lifting the thing to where it's currenly located without a crane gives me the shivers. The thing has to weigh 400 pounds.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I may end up replacing that one. It's got some soft spots.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, cool. Here's what cut those and left the nice markings:

the German way of doing it:
is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here in Waterloo County Ontario there are a lot of old post and beam barns, and I've seen quite a few go up in menonite barn raisings. They put together a complete "bay" and then pull it up with ropes to join to the next "bay" with the lateral beams - all placed by hand, and pegged with wooden pegs and wedges.

Reply to
clare

Good photos. Can almost smell the wood. Same with the highboy.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

My god, 200 year old barn ? Nice !

Reply to
http://www.Towood.com/ Export

=A0 -- Minna Thomas Antrim

With regard to the Japanese man hewing the logs into rectangular form, he still had ten toes. I wonder what would OSHA say.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

markings:

>>> And the German way of doing it:
>>> --

The kindly OSHA inspector would likely curl up, keel over, and die after seeing that process. The next one would prolly ban hatchets, axes, and other bladed tools. They're dangerous!

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks a lot like the main beam in the "new" addition of my house which was added around 1860-1870

Reply to
blueman

markings:

>>> And the German way of doing it:
>>> --

Not sure if you saw the YouTube video that has an extended sequence of Japanese style cutting, including close ups of the guys toes...

toes hurt just watching and I had the urge to count them when the video was over...

Reply to
blueman