Grizzly's new G0459 baby drum sander opinion wanted

Do any of you out there have this new drum sander and what is your opinion of it if you do? I don't see where or if they have any other sand paper grits available for it. I don't think any is listed in their catalog. Thanks for your opinions. Been thinking about getting this sander.

Reply to
Tom

I don't have one, but Popular Woodworking just did a "Tool Test" and they were very positive towards it. A few quotes: "without a doubt, the best value in a thicknessing sander suitable for small-shop use that I have ever seen", "It has some limitations in capacity and precision, but considering performance and price, this is the machine I want in my shop". The conveyer belt and height adjustment also received praise. The minuses they mentioned included lost precision due to hook-and-loop abrasives, and that dust collection would be improved if the hood extended down farther. Overall, their reviewer was very impressed and recommended it highly. Hope this helps. Of course it did come from a company that regularly prints advertisements for Grizzly, so take that for what it's worth. Also, since Grizzly sells through Amazon, there are sometimes user reviews of Grizzly products there. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hook and Loop paper, eh? Interesting. Not sure you could do much thickness sanding with it. Nor would I buy any drum sander with less capacity than my planer. Since it won't thickness short lengths nor even out wide glueups, I'd take a pass.

Reply to
George

Tom, the on-line catalog lists 60 thru 220 grit, is that enough of a range?

I looked at this one very seriously last winter, when I was deciding which one to go with, I went with the Delta X-5 model for the following reasons

*I didn't like the h&l method that Grizzly uses, it implies I have to buy my paper from just them, what would I do if they stopped selling it. While I could cut paper from a roll for the Delta *The Delta has an optional out/in feed table *Amazon had $150 off, plus free shipping, plus a $100 rebate (still in effect). The combination made the Delta cheaper

TTFN

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg