Grinding a router bit

I don't see how (at least for 1/4" ply). According to the info on the set, the smallest groove it will cut is 7/32, which is already the size I have (which is too big). It's too bad, because they're the only ones I've seen that have the correct diameter (1.75").

todd

Reply to
todd

It's pretty easy to grind a carbide bit down if you have a diamond sharpening stone and a digital vernier or mic. I ground a 6.3mm one down to 5.5 to make a cutter to fit a guitar truss rod (roughly your sizes!). If you haven't got a diamond stone yet, you don't know what you're missing!

Work out how much you have to take off each side, then grind down one side all the way, checking for *parallel* as you go with the vernier/mike (the other edge is your datum). Then flip the tool over and grind the other side, also checking for parallel. Takes no more than ten minutes.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath