Glue Storage Question

I do not use polyurethane glue or cyanoacrylate glues very often. When they are new and I use them they are fine. What I have a problem with is when I go to use them again at a later date and they have gone hard. These glues are not cheap and I am getting fed up with having to throw them away, buy new ones and start the cycle over again.

What do you advise as a good way to store these so they retain theif effectiveness?

Thanks for any and al help.

Reply to
trvlnmny

trvlnmny wrote in news:3548817b-2eaf-4700-b827- snipped-for-privacy@s4g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

CA glue going bad? I haven't seen it yet, but usually wind up using up the bottle before a year has gone by. I store mine at room temperature, usually within arm's reach of the project area. Our humidity varies from about 30% to 100% outside, usually 40-60% inside.

I believe both glue types mentioned are moisture cured types. I wonder if storing the glue with a couple packages of dessicant nearby might help any.

One thing to do is buy smaller containers. You'll use the glues faster and have to buy it more often, but it'll be fresh. Another thing to do for the CA at least is to advise everyone in your house where it is. At least it will get used (if not lost first). The third idea that springs to mind is to just think about using it more. You can even remove your glasses, head to the closet, and announce, "This looks like a job for Superglue!"

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You can freezr CA-based glues and extend shelf life. Be sure to thaw thoroughly before use.

Reply to
lektric dan

I had an unopened poly glue go bad/expire on me so I haven't bought any more. I understand that if you store it upside down after opening, it remains usable longer. Only the top (now bottom) hardens, where it remains exposed to air, evidently.

Every teeny tube of CA glue I've openeddied an early death, including the gel type. I've never bought a large bottle of it but haven't heard of them going bad. I'm sure more responders will have firsthand knowledge of that.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In the last 10 years I have purchased 2, 1 oz bottles of "Super Glue" The first bottle went bad after about 8 years and worked great up until that point. The trick I use to preserve the shelf life of this type glue is to keep the bottle in the refrigerator.

Polyurethane glue is much like shellac, it begins to cure in the bottle the moment you open it. Don't buy polyurethane glue before you need it and don't buy more than you plan to use on that project.

Reply to
Leon

I think fridge works better.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's all you needed to say. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've had good luck storing CA glue in the refrigerator. Polyurethane is catalyzed by hydroxyl (i.e. is water sensitive) just like most silicone RTV adhesives, and should (I have only tested with silicones) last longer if you seal the bottle inside a (for instance) paint can with some dessicant. Maybe even just a coffee can with a good lid...

By 'dessicant' I don't mean wimpy silica gel, use CaSO4 or CaCl.

Reply to
whit3rd

I use small tubes of super glue gel to glue cue tips on cue sticks. I store the opened and unopened tubes in plastic pill bottles with a desiccant. I use the desiccants that sometimes come with the pills.

I have had unopened tubes of glue, sealed in an apparent air tight bag that were all bad when opened. Have no idea how long they were in the store.

I never had a tube go bad, even after opened, when sealed in an old pill bottle with a desiccant. I'd guess about a year is as long as I had them stored opened, and they remain good.

While on the subject, I might add that several months ago I glued a

6x48" sanding belt back together with some super glue gel, as a temp fix until I could get some new belts.... damn thing is still holding up.
Reply to
Jack Stein

We used to put it in the freezer.

I used to build 2 meter sail planes and used a fair amount. Buying in bulk and then sharing with a buddy. I bought speed assist by the 1/2 gallon. Glue by the pint. I could get a 55 gallon of it - but that seemed life threatening!

I used to know a manufacturer in southern Ca. Once a major medical supplier for Vietnam, relighted to service hobby world of users.

I had a small bottle in a tool box. I was the 'Engineer' in charge of a machine the size of 6 large iceboxes - shipped on a dedicated truck and the engineers, techs and I would see it installed. I got to pay for fork lifts and union labor.... deal with the folks. Buy and pay. The small tube was used once, but had been snapped close...

It came open on the trip back - and put a vapor of glue on the inside of the tool box. It took years to get the glue out - as it broke down in the oil of the tools it finally gave up.

Mart> >> I do not use polyurethane glue or cyanoacrylate glues very often. When

Reply to
Martin Eastburn