Glass cutting advise.

I think I'd drill that.

but then I'm a weenie....

Reply to
bridger

Ah, the "He doesn't have 12 years of experience, he's got one year of experience 12 times" type, yup, I've run into those too.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

the advice that leon has given is wrong. it will cause the OP to have a piece of glass that a: will need fixing using expensive diamond tools and specialized glass working tools, that for sure they don't have, and b: possibly be dangerous by having shards of glass sticking out of their original piece that they will not be able to remove without using such tools.

the method i gave is the correct one, and will result in the easiest and safest resulting piece of glass for the OP.

for leon, his way is quite sufficient for someone who has the tools to fix the problems associated with his method. it is neither the easiest, nor quickest, in my professional opinion. his method would be correct, if for example, it was a 10" rise in 10" width, which, while not impossible to cut directly, is somewhat harder than the original request.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Charles, Leon is completely out to lunch but you won't win this argument in this group. The only thing rec.woodworking excels in these days is mediocre advice from amateurs, like Leon.

Reply to
OldSchool

While I agree with your viewpoint to some extent, there's another issue. Generally speaking commenting on the abilities of others is counterproductive because it carries the discussion into the domain of personalities rather than technical issues. Dismissing another's comment as "nonsense", even if it _is_ nonsense, is more likely to incite a flame war than a productive discussion. Better to explain, politely, _why_ it is nonsense.

I'll get back under my bridge now.

Reply to
J. Clarke