Garnet vs Aluminum Oxide sandpaper

I believe I read somewhere that one of these is not recommended for woodwork.

Is this true and if so, which one?

I have both and have a decent bit of sanding to start soon.

ThankX Ron

Reply to
Ron

Aluminum oxide (AO) papers will typically last longer since the grit does not break down as fast as does Garnet. The AO will leave evenly distributed striations and you must use the next finer grit to get rid of the striations left by the coarser grit.

As for Garnet paper, it too has its place right next to the AO papers. I use the Garnet papers whenever I have to sand by hand (rolled up, palmed, sanding block, strips, etc.). Garnet breaks down (wears out) faster than AO papers but that is exactly the reason for using a Garnet paper. The more its used, the finer the grit becomes (duller edges) and the finer the striations become. Some say it wears out to fast - I say it's just self-grading...

So for fast removal AO, for finer detail sanding use Garnet.

Now the experts can give you some additional info to help you decide on what to use and when.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

The adhesive on much of the garnet paper smells suspiciously like hide glue when you attempt to power sand with it. Can't convince a HSchooler to read (or perhaps they can't) the package, which says "not for use in powered sanders."

Reply to
George

Fish glue I thought ? Isn't it more flexible than hide ?

The only one I'd advise against for wood is silicon carbide (often black "wet and dry") and that's just because of the price. It has the advantage of good wear resistance, but you just don't need that on wood. Save it for synthetic fillers and paintwork.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Collagen, anyway, regardless?