Floor Drill Press - Are You Using A Base?

Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of plywood to add stability.

Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

Don't know about the plywood. I've got mine on wheels.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20 wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | Just curious about the feelings here in the NG. I'm switching from a | benchtop DP to a Delta 16.5" floor unit, and wondered if anyone here | has followed the manual's suggestion to mount the base on a piece of | plywood to add stability. |=20 | Be interested to hear what approaches some of you have taken. |=20 | Mike

Reply to
PDQ

First time you clamp down that 8' long 2 x 8 to make a couple of holes near the end, you'll understand why they made such a suggestion.

Friend of mine has his lagged onto a couple of 2 x 6's about 36" long. I have a benchtop, but it is bolted to a cabinet top.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mike,

I have mine mounted to two 3/4" pieces of plywood to the Delta specification and then they are bolted to the delta universal base. I plan to make a outrigger bar that can be quickly bolted to the base in the event I do something like Edwin stated. Generally it is very stable, I just would want to place anything to heavy to make it tip either way. It's nice having it mobile when I need to clean up or work on a larger piece.

David

Reply to
DL

Dave... I hadn't even thought about a mobile base, but might give that some thought. I was thinking about a "sled" base. IOW, build the PW base and then add a couple of skids, but a mobile base with locks sounds even better.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

I mounted mine to a Rockler mobile base (clone of the delta base that uses your own lumber pieces). I never put long pieces on the drill press without using extra support stands and yes, I've put 64 1" holes each in a couple of 2x6's. I used two Rockler roller ball support stands. Stability of the drill press was no problem.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Mike,

I can post a picture of the DP mounted on the base if you would like to see it.

David

Reply to
DL

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

In my experience even a plywood base is not good enough to prevent a lot of vibration. The only thing that worked for me was to bolt it to the concrete floor. Then it was really stable. Of course the plywood or other large base will make it safe.

Reply to
rchanson

I had it on a plywood base nearly identical in size to that suggested by Delta. I also had it on a Delta mobile base for a while, but later stole that for use with another piece of equipment. Now it sits on a concrete floor with no plywood or anchors of any sort. I've had no tipping problem. YMMV.

Dave

snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote:

Reply to
David

My ancient Craftsman (~1955 vintage) has a big heavy cast iron base that keeps it really stable without any help!

Grant

snipped-for-privacy@hotpotato.com wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

My three kids climbed in, out, around and under mine as they grew up. Sears floor model with no addition to the base. Of course, the base was fairly weighty, and was designed to have three smaller "feet" for stability. One injury caused to daughter when she attempted to stand up under the table and took a four stitch gash to the head.

That's the key to a successful sub-base - it's got to sit stable, or be worse than useless.

Reply to
George

My Delta 17-968 is near a door so I decided not to bolt it to the floor or use a piece of plywood as I'm more likely to trip on the plywood as have the DP fall over.

If I need to drill something heavy and long, I support it carefully first.

Dave

Teamcasa

I have used one of the old Craftsman DPs in my shop for. I have never had a problem. It can be a little tipsy when I try to move it but patience works.

I did build a 32" wide table for the old machine a year ago and got a little concerned. Really hasn't been a problem though.

Reply to
RonB