Finishing Idea - any tried it?

I was playing around with different finishing techniques and products.

I've built a small table out of pine, just to practice, so it's not really important. I stained it with a light red oak stain and it looks pretty nice. I now want to seal it. I got to thinking and I have used both polyester and epoxy resins when sealing plywood stitch and glue boats, and they've both worked pretty well. I'm wondering how it would work if I sealed the entire table in polyester resin? The stuff's pretty strong and would definitely lock the woods moisture content, so it should keep movement to a minimum, right?

anyone tried anything similar?

tillius

Reply to
Tillius

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:18:09 -0500, Tillius Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

im not sure about the characteristics of polyester resin, but in my experience, NOTHING short of encasing wood in a block of acrylic will "lock" in the moisture content. the stuff breaths, and i doubt it can be stopped from doing so.

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Polyester resins aren't waterproof and absorb water (one reason why vinylester resins are more common in boats).. Epoxy would be better.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

That may change soon Traves. There is some interesting work being done with microwave technology. Apparently the wood is cooked, then a vacuum draws sealer or other compounds into the wood. The options are exciting more than a few scholars at present.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:55:31 GMT, "Groggy" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

now THAT, is interesting. might make alot of things easier to do. . . thanks for the heads up Greg!

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock