finishing birch plywood

I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

Reply to
canthonica

Water based products are great with birch when no color is desired.

Try a scrap panel with a good quality water based varnish available near you. Follow the directions on the can for the specific product you choose, including a light sanding after the first coat. Water raises the grain of wood, so a sanding (maybe 220 grit) after the first coat of water based product is very necessary after the first coat, if a sanding sealer is not used.

Not all water based products are created equal, so if you don't like one, try another. Some have come a long way, some still aren't very good. Here's a very recent comparison:

Don't put it on the actual parts until you have a good handle on application, and are happy with the results.

**
**

B A R R Y

Thanks for the info Barry. I'll give it a try.

Reply to
canthonica

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1188173426.669252.64620 @r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

And next time you have a go at this type of cabinet, check with your plywood folks to see if they have prefinished birch or maple for you to buy. A LOT easier to use, saves a bunch of time and not that much more $$$.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

The waterbased stuff is great for what you want. I like to use exterior clear acrylic for cabinets and for the interior of the vintage travel trailers we restore.

Craig

Reply to
CM

I have the best luck with blonde shellac.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Thanks to all that replied. I'll reply with the results.

Reply to
canthonica

The water-based poly worked great. That is just what I was hoping for. I used oil based poly on the face frames because I like the amber tone it gives. I stained the face frames first with the smallest bit of olympic colonial maple. I rub it on and off quickly as not to make the wood too dark. My cabinet project is coming out pretty nice.

Again, thanks to all of you that helped.

Reply to
canthonica