Finessing a dumb idea; question

Howdy,

Lots of experts here; never seen anyone here as neophyte as I am, so this ought to be an easy one

Love woodworking, but I'm disabled so most of my work is done while I'm on my butt or one one of the occasional "good" days I get.

My problem: Our LR floor looks like an old school gymnasium floor that's been ignored for a century and a half while the neighborhood kids and wildlife used it for their playtimes. Oh, and the occasional spill & cat, uh, "stuff".

I know HOW and WHATto do. Well, almost, anyway. My main problem is that it takes a -long- time for me to do things. Since I would like to refinish the floor as opposed to painting it, I get the problem of having it lying in mid-conditioned/stained/poly'd/waxed states for relatively long periods of time. Most areas I can put a sofa or something over to protect for the durations, but ... well, that won't work for the whole area. DW just won't allow it, plus occasionally I need to pass a wheelchair thru the room. The specific question:

Is there a way to cover/protect the floor while it's "in process"? Particularly pre-stain and post-stain. People would have to be able to walk over it. There is no other passage in the house to use, so the LR must be crossed. The only thing I can think of is to put down one of those big blue tarps sold everywhere for a few bucks, but I don't know what damage they might cause to stained areas after a few days of traffic - if damage is an issue, which I feel sure it must be. Do those tarps mark or distress a bare wood or wood stains? All stains, finishes etc. would be oil - no water base.

Before anyone asks, yes, I know the pitfalls of lap marks, aging effects and shade issues of differing drying durations, etc.. The boards are 2 1/2" wide so I should be able to use board edges and a little 6-day masking tape for transitions. The wood itself is actually in good shape, so I think as long as I want a dark stain, sanding will be rather easy to accomplish, and maybe a little work on some small-area discolorations. It had carpet over it for about a hundred years.

Any & all polite or humorous ideas accepted with cheer and/or gratitude.

Thanks

Pop Rivet

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Been there done that.

As you suspect, It's not a very good job for piecemeal work. Seriously, can you send the family away for a long weekend? It can be done, start to finish in 3 days.

Tape and plastic all the doors, or the dust from sanding will get

**everywhere**. Between coats lightly sand (to remove nibs), vac, vac again, then maybe vac again. then wipe *everything* down with adampened cloth to tack up the remaining dust. dust is the enemy.

The dust is so much of a problem that you DO NOT WANT to do this bit by bit.

I know, it's specifically what you asked to no hear but....

-s

Reply to
Stephen M

I don't have an answer to your problem, but why stain at all? Sand it down as good as possible, and finish it. The worn rustic look is really pretty nice. I put down some Used maple in a bedroom, sanded it, finished it, and it looks beautiful. It has character! I don't think clear finish will show lap marks as much as lapping stain. Just my opinion.

Reply to
ToolMiser

snip

snip

rosin paper.

Reply to
bridger

I was afraid I'd get responses like that: In fact, that's what I'd probably tell anyone that asked that question too. Looks like back to the drawing boards; I originally thought about carpet with a painted perimeter, so ... who knows? Wonder what my nephews are doing next weekend? Then wifey & I could both go away for a weekend & have a good excuse to do it!

Thanks, appreciate the comeback.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet