favourite book for a newbe

Hi, I am a newbe, I did do some stuf when i had too but only know i started to think of woodworking as something to enjoy. I am looking for a good reference book to learn more about different wood, different techniques, finishing techniques, something to keep in the shop and on my night table. I wonder if you could share yoru favourite choices.

thank

pawel skudlarski

Reply to
Pawel

rickluce

Depends on what I am doing or planning...

some. :-)

Since I am about to do some cabinets...

Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

A little while ago I picked up a book titled "The Encyclopedia of Woodworking" at a local used bookstore. I can lookup the exact title and author for you when I get home tonight if you like. It's been a very handy guide touching on everything from how a log becomes lumber to joinery and finishing to basic furniture repairs (including fixing your own mistakes.) It also includes a handful of projects in beginner and advanced sections. In most cases in shows the traditional neander (hand tool) method and the Normite (power tool) alternative.

It's been a pretty handy reference for me, anything similar would make a good beginners reference. Some good advice I got when I asked a similar question here was to just go and thumb through the woodworking books at my local bookstore and pick one whose scope and style appeals to you.

Cheers,

Josh

Reply to
FunkySpaceCowboy

By Joyce ?

Classic English apprentice's handbook. Another near equivalent is Tage Frid's 1st & 2nd volume.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I liked "The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than

40 Fabulous Projects (Hardcover)"
the link works - the Amazon link in a previous post didn't work for me. Amazon doesn't carry it, so you'll have to order it used or get it somewhere else. Good introductory book, basic tools, types of wood, types of finishes, some background info on each of those things, and some projects you can start on or modify. Have fun working wood, Andy
Reply to
Andy

Flexner's book on finishing is the only one I would call outstanding. The rest are all more or less the same. Go to the library and get a couple on whatever interests you. If you love one, buy it.

Reply to
Toller

I second the "go to the library" advice. I have checked out many many books from our local library system. There are so many books to choose from that it is hard to match a person up with the books he/she would like. Our library is in a network of about 12-14 libraries and the on-line catalog search allows you to search all the libraries holdings at once. If the book I want is not in the closest library, I just put it on hold and in about two days it shows up at my local library. I have found many older and the newer books in these libraries. If you are just starting out look at a few of the shop-lay-out books. Then maybe a few of the work-bench books. Then maybe a few books on band saws. Then a few on table saws. Then maybe a few books on ..... Right now I have a book that just covers hand planes and another that just covers sanding. I seen a reference to another newer book in rec wood and it is now on hold and is coming from a library across the county and I will pick it up this weekend. A few of the books that I have check out I would consider buying, but not until I feel a little more wealthy.

Reply to
djs

my library system (about 100 in Toronto) carries about 45 books, each on a seperate topic by Nick Engler. There is some overlap, but it covers the basics on most things, and you can go from there to just about anywhere. You can use their www to order anything from anywhere in the 100 libraries, and renew for months. Have it delivered anywhere and return anywhere. Check if they are in too.

Reply to
bent

I have Flexner's book and it is consistently eluding my power of observation. I guess it would help if I sat down and read it.

Reply to
bent

some guys are just friggin' mental. I have read 1000pp books where each and every word fit together like dovetail joints. All of them over my head. You could feel the last drop of sweat pouring out of the forehead of the guy trying to get to publish.

Reply to
bent

For the very beginning, as in: genuinly beginning, as a true beginner, like I did just over a year ago... the perfect book (I think) is:

"The practical woodworker" By Stephen Corbett, ISBN 0-681-78336-2

covers everything needed in understanding for a beginner from woods to tools including hand power tools, to finishing. It also involves many projects with step by step instructions. The book is fully loaded with big color photos of everything. It's got it all.

In my opinion it is really great to work with hand saws, non electric drills, hand planes, chisels of all types but for that you would need a woodworker's bench such as this one, the two at the top of the page:

luck and enjoy!

Reply to
AAvK

RE: Subject

It is not a wood worker's book, but it sure has some good wood working info.

Practical Yacht Joinery, by Fred Bingham.

Best $20 I ever spent.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:17:15 -0500, "Pawel" scribbled:

My wife just brought the following book from the library:

Albert Jackson and David Day, /Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual/, Harper Collins Publishers, 2005. ISBN 000-716442-4.

It looks really good and has extensive coverage, including chapters on Wood, Designing, Hand Tools, Power Tools, Machine Tools, Home Workshops, Joints, Bending Wood, Veneering & Marquetry, Carving, Finishing, Fixings and Fittings (i.e. Hardware). Lots of good illustrations. I can't think of any topic that was missing. I already know most of the stuff but I'm not a newbie. The only disadvantage I can see is strictly from a North American perspective as it is written in plain English rather than American English; so cramps, rebates, and pillar drills as well as DeWalt planers that are a combination jointer & thicknesser.

Well worth a look if you can get it.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:55:28 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "bent" quickly quoth:

Go pick up a copy of Jeff Jewitt's "Hand-Applied Finishes", a book you'll surely thrill to own, and keep Flexner's for reference.

$13.57

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope this one was put together by Mark Ramuz and was published by Oceana.

Cheers,

Josh

Reply to
FunkySpaceCowboy

So you know what I'm talking about. Damn I hate that.

Reply to
bent