Extremely naive router table question--please try to be a little kind

If you know how far the fence needs to be from the line, it's easy. Measure at the ends of the line/fence, not at the bit. Say you need to set the fence 3/8 from the line. Measure 3/8 from one end, put the fence there, and clamp that end. Now, measure 3/8 from the other end and clamp that. Double check the first end, and you're done.

Of course, this assumes that the lines extend the entire length/width of the table.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:20:34 GMT, "Toller" scribbled:

The concept of "learning" has always interested me as well, thus woodworking as a practical method.

Reply to
Len

Didn't catch the first of this thread but lack of information never stopped me from jumping in before...

I built my router table using 2 $1 countertop sink cutouts from Menards. They start out fairly flat anyway and by gluing the 2 non-laminated sides together it made a very stiff and flat surface with a smooth top to boot. The "trick" is to drill a hole in the center where the cut out will go. Once you apply glue drop a bolt through the hole and tighten it up. Use regular clamps around the outside. Once it is dry all you have to do is mount it to a base.

I used my router to make slots for some T-track the fence attaches to. The fence is simply MDF with some a strip of that laminate flooring screwed on the front for a slick surface. I can also mark on the laminate in pencil and just clean it off when I'm done.

Your right in that the fence doesn't need to be parallel unless you are using a miter. The T-track has enough slop that I can force the fence to a reasonable angle when it suits me.

Jim Len wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Jim

snipped-for-privacy@thesafety.net (Ray Kinzler) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It may be a little late to post for this subject, but what the h!

I have found that the TV program "The Router Workshop" on Knowledge Network here in Western Canada has taught me a lot about router uses and safety. If you have this program in your area, it would be very informative for you to check it out. They use a simple router table and fence system, though they also use some jigs that are very expensive if bought from their merchandise arm.

Norm Abram on "The New Yankee Workshop" often uses the router. Also here in Canada you can see "In the Workshop" on HGTV. He (can't remember his name at the moment) also uses the router table often.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC