estimation Software

Does anyone know of any software for estimating the quantity and sizes of lumber I'll need?

Reply to
HotRod

"HotRod" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

There's software that will let you input a parts list, but as for quantity and size, that's a design issue not one to be solved by computer.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm sure it can be done but I'd like to set my wood type and the maximum and minimum wood lengths and width that I can buy and their associated prices. Then I'd like to input my cuts and have it calculate what the best sizes and widths to buy. For a simple example if I needed 4 peices of 5 1/2 foot x 5" pine it may tell me to buy 1 - 12 foot 1x12 peice of pine.

Reply to
HotRod

I use Cutlist Pro but it works in the opposite manner. You input what wood you have in stock and the parts sizes you need and it does the nesting layout.

I suppose you could build a dummy inventory of lumber that has several pieces of each of the available sizes you could buy and then it will do the layout using its intelligent algorithims and select the best combination of sizes.

I think you can try it for free. Just do a Google on cutlist.

BW

HotRod wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've contacted Cutlist to see if the software also works in reverse. I'll keep you posted.

Reply to
HotRod

I use Cutlist Plus (Silver) for sheet stock parts.

On my very first use, Cutlist Plus saved me an entire $95 sheet of white oak ply! The version of CLP I'm using only cost ~$75.

Thanks to all of the raving on this NG, I bought it. Now, I'm raving about it.

At least give the free version a spin.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've used Cutlist like this. When you build your inventory, just setup a wide range of boards that are possible, and the program will select which will makeup the best use of wood. Then you can go and purchase the right size boards based on the cutting diagram.

The only feature that would help is if the program would account for glueing up two narrow boards to make one wide board.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I actually need the opposite of what everyone is talking about. I'd like to know if it can tell me what to buy in the first place so that I don't have a lot of inventory sitting around. Plus optimize the cost of sizes I should purchase. WHY buy 12 1" x 6" when a few longer 1"x12"s will work.

Reply to
HotRod

Set up a dummy inventory, with a starting stock of "0", and check "Can buy more".

Many of us do this. It's really easy.

For space reasons I don't stock many sheet goods, and since I don't use CLP for solid parts, ALL of my CLP inventory is dummy.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Maybe glueing should be a check box or in the options somewhere.

Reply to
HotRod

I'll give the software a shot and see what I get. Since I'm dealing with rough pine for teh first job would I input multiple lengths and widths as my fake inventory?

Reply to
HotRod

Think of a 15" x 24" x 3/4" (rough dimension) panel called "Top"...

Now, simply create a part consisting of the narrow board, "Top" as 3" x

24" x 3/4", and select an appropriate quantity (5) to glue up to the wider board.

Simple...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've had similar experiences with CutList. The money it has saved me *far* exceeds its cost.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 11:13am snipped-for-privacy@YourEmail.com (HotRod) doth query: Does anyone know of any software for estimating the quantity and sizes of lumber I'll need?

Does paper and a pencil count? Or would that be considered hardware?

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

JT If it could be done on paper I can do it in code or in an excel spreadsheet. I just need to know where to start. I guess what I could do is create a "fake" project and then do it on paper and see if I can write the logic code for it.

P.S. Paper and pencil is hardware, though you rarely need to reboot it.

Reply to
HotRod

"HotRod" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

*snip*

People complain about computers being throw away devices. Shesh! Not only do you cut pencils apart to use them, but when the paper has too many errors you throw it away!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Since I'm in I.T. I always thaught that it was ironic home the world was going to be so much better with computers and a peperless society. Now it's easier than ever to print out a 1000 page document, two - twenty times as you correct errors and my company insists that we keep a "hard copy" of everything that is digital. The only thing computers help were the first people who had them, back in those days an accountant could do one client per day, now you can do one client every 1/2 hr but your expected to do 20 clients a day. Except for the internet and newsgroups I could do without.

Reply to
HotRod

There is something to be said for having a D size drawing on my small desk with 3D models helping me in my designs. 'Paperless' in my case isn't so much 'no paper' as it replaces BIG paper. When a project calls for a lot of design, I actually build the project in 3D. That automatically gives me a parts list in spreadsheet form by labelling my objects in classes, which I then sort by size, material etc. IOW.... the design yields the estimate. CAD programs can be a great estimating tool.

Robatoy

Exactly. If you're buying pine from HD, just look at the sizes they sell, then makeup your inventory to match theirs. When CutList 'optimizes' your stock needs, it will choose the most efficient use and spit out a shopping list for you. I belive that there are options you can set for how it optimizes the layout, kerf width, etc...

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yeah but I've never paid $1500.00 for paper and pencil.

Reply to
CW