Epoxy Fills Gaps (?)

Thanks all for their info to fix up my sloppy WW skills: I was tuning up the M/T fit for a table and temp assembled the pieces. After laying the (assembled) piece om my bench, it would rock about 1/4"! :( . It took a bit more tuning to get the assyembly to lie flat :) . That is why I ended up with a looser fit than desired. Thanks again. JWH

Reply to
JonH

Sigh...I know how that works...been there, done that. I like to use some scrap pine and test the jig setup for cutting the joints before I commit to the "real" wood. I always end up with a better set of joints. I also want to vote in agreement with the post suggesting veneer on the tenons, and, a re-fitting. That will, in the long run, provide the best joint, I believe. While it is quite true that epoxy and filler is a great tool it just does not feel "right" to me. On the times I have started to resort to it, I think back to how I feel when I open up a joint for repair, and find that sort of thing. I always seem to shake my head over the lack of craftsmanship it shows. We are not trying to make money off this (hence the "rec"reational root of this newsgroup, so, it makes more sense to me to do it "right" the first time or, find an elegant way to correct the error that is true to the concepts of excellent woodworking. In any case, fixing the joint in such a way that requires re-cutting the tenons (for example) will go a lot further towards getting your fingers educated on how to cut accurate joints than glopping on an epoxy paste. The next time you build something like this, you will appreciate that education, as the joints will become easier to cut and more accurate in the bargain. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt