Drilling holes for dowels?

There is no clamp in the world that will make a biscuit do anything for registration. Either the clamp (or caul) does it or it doesn't. The biscuit has nothing to do with it. BTDT.

Reply to
keithw86

I agree. But you can wiggle a biscuit 'till everything lines up, then clamp the sucker in place until the glue hardens.

Reply to
HeyBub

But if you can wiggle it, and you can, it's *not* doing anything for registration. In fact, I'm not sure what (good) it does. Maybe face frames? Haven't done that yet.

Reply to
krw

If they don't do anything for registration and they don't do anything for joint strength. What is the point in using them?

This is a serious question not a troll. I had thought that the main use was registration.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Sorry while it is a nice tool its use is much more limited than the Domino or biscuit joiner.

For a single or twin dowel then it is as fast but that is realistically its limit. Also if you need to limit twist you have to have 2 dowels at

32mm centers so your minimum material size is limited.

AFAIK a Domino can be used in place that you could use biscuits but you can get exact registration with the first and then wiggle room with the others on long boards. In places where the maximum 10mm is too small you can use multiple or ganged dominos.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Best define registration.

I use them for top registration and consider 1/64" close enough for tops and atom bombs.

Having said that, I use oversize stock and then run thru a drum sander to get a finished top.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's what I thought, before I actually used one.

If you can accept that registration error, why bother with the biscuits?

Reply to
krw

1/64" beats 1/32" or more every time out of the box.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I recently tried it both ways, both using cauls. I didn't notice any difference.

Reply to
krw

They add plenty of strength to "end grain to face grain" joints.

Edge to edge... I concur, there is no point.

-Steve

Reply to
StephenM

Yeah, if it does little to nothing for strength, and nothing for registration, then what is the purpose?

I've always used mortise and tenon for face frames, but have bought a Kreg pocket hole thing-ee recently. I've used the Kreg thing for all sorts of stuff already, and it works really well, and easy. I haven't built a face frame with it yet, and probably will do the old M&T thing anyway... Old habits die hard sometimes... then again, the Kreg pocket hole thing is really easy, and fast, and surprisingly strong...

If you are talking about attaching the face frame to the cabinet, I could see a biscuit joiner used for registration, but I've either used nothing, or plowed a tongue and groove for that.

Reply to
Jack Stein

1/64th is more than good enough for me. Cauls work fine if your wood is perfect, less so if you don't have a planer. I can see using a biscuit joiner for a top, making sure the top surface is flat, and any discrepancies are on the bottom surface... you guys with thickness planers wouldn't understand:-) I'm still not likely to spend the money on one, I'd rather by a planer:-)
Reply to
Jack Stein

Right, but us guys with thickness planers don't like the bottoms bumpy either. The top mirrors (as opposed to "mirror finish") the bottom. I'll play with the biscuit jointer some more but so far it was a coupla $hundred wasted.

Reply to
keithw86

If the boards are perfectly thicknessed to start with you wouldn't need anything to get the top and bottom flat.. I'm guessing of course, cause I don't have a planer and have never had perfectly thicknessed planks to work with. I always try to get the top as close as humanly possible, and the heck with the bottom, as long as it's not ridiculous.

The top mirrors (as opposed to "mirror finish") the bottom.

I never wanted one for strength, just for alignment issues. When folks started trashing them for alignment, I started to wonder why you would want one... Well, I want one, I want a nail gun too, but have no use for one...

Reply to
Jack Stein

You need alignment to get the tops and bottoms flat. A biscuit cutter doesn't accomplish the task is the point.

I have a few nail guns too. At least they're useful. Finding "ammo" for my round-head is a bit problematic, though. Everyone seems to have 3-1/4" stuff but nothing shorter than 3". Probably should have bought a clipped head nailer instead.

Reply to
krw