Drill Press Question

A few months ago, I picked up a good deal on an old Delta 14" drill press ( DP220). I will use this to replace my Rockwell 11" which is still very ser viceable but I like having the added throat depth (and also the idea of "ol d iron").

Before I let go of the old machine, I want to be sure the new guy is a wort hy replacement. It seems to be very tight and run relatively smoothly. I thought I'd check out the run-out on the chuck. I have a long steel rod th at looks straight, but I can't be positive. Anyway, I can get a hardened d owel and use either one. When I put the dowel in the chuck, what is a reas onable distance from the chuck to measure run-out? What is an acceptable v alue at that location?

I suppose I could measure the chuck directly. Again, what would be a reaso nable value there?

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Pick up a drill rod, it should be straight. the rod should spin true. measure as far you can .. 12" .. that will tell you how it runs. Then take the drill rod at the bottom and find out how much deflection you are getting.

Mark where your dial indicator is on the rod with a marker. place the dial 90 from the current position repeat.

90 again repeat. rinse and repeat once more.

now you have an idea of how she spins and deflects while the quill is still in the parked position.

Do the same with the quill out. you can tighten the quill up too to take slop out.

Also use the dial indicator at the bottom and lower the quill... see if it moves the dial.. it should not. repeat at 90s around the clock.

The amount it's out is subjective, but at least you will know where it's off and how to compensate for it.

I would not use a hardened dowel.. it' not accurate enough.

Reply to
woodchucker

What is more important is if the drilling results are satisfactory to you. Drill a hole, do you like the result.......

Reply to
Leon