Dovetail a drawer

Don't remember who recommended this video, "Dovetail a Drawer, with Frank Klausz", but I borrowed it from my local library and was just amazed by the speed and precision with which he works.

He didn't use a ruler for anything. The drawer was part of a desk and he didn't even have plans for it, just a storypole.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I took a local class, quite a while back, where the guy taught the same method.

Does the *exact* dovetail angle really matter? Not really!

What matters is that they fit, are cleanly cut, are pleasingly proportioned, and they look GOOD.

That class really sunk it in that if it's structurally sound, the bottom line in woodworking really is the finished look. Joinery gets incredibly easy when we understand that all that matters is that the part fits it's mate and looks good in the piece. That's really all there is to it...

Interchangeable parts are a whole 'nuter universe...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

"Okay, now we're ready to cut the pins"

*screetch screetch screetch*

"You're probably saying slow down..."

No, I'm busy picking my jaw up off the floor.

And then he glues it up without a dry fit. Okay, they could have just not shown that part, but I get the feeling he hasn't needed to dry fit a dovetail since before I was born ('76).

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf