Do You Lube It Before U Screw ??

I'm fairly new to this group, and I read what's current. I haven't searched the archives because I don't have an issue that I really need to research. I'm also relatively new to woodworking, so I don't have _an_ issue, I have hundreds. Just reading what comes in on a daily basis keeps my mind occupied.

So, when I saw the Lube title, I checked it out. And yes, I learned something. I learned a lot from all the posts so far, and it's something I'll set up in my own shop tomorrow. Lots of lil containers filled with stuff that I can easily dip a screw into.

The archives are great. I've used them in other groups. But old topics revisited are also a great benefit. And if it's a topic I've already seen, I just move on to the next.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Tanus wrote: snipsnip

You could be the "hundredth (sp?) monkey". Some study awhile back showed that, when, in a clan of monkeys, when a certain percentage of them caught on to a new method or technique, very quickly the remainder of the clan took up the new method or technique. I'm always open to a new way of doing things, so I keep an eye on the newsgroups, anyway. Yes, the archives_are_ great. Tom

Reply to
tom

Oooo, oooo. Eheeee, eheee.

Reply to
stoutman

I use beeswax too, but it was a PITA to have to melt it all the time. I figured out that if I added some Mineral Spirits to the melted wax, then let it cool, I'd never need to melt it again. It doesn't take much MS so add just a little then cool. If it's too stiff, keep reheating & adding a bit more till you're happy with it. Mine is about the consistency of room temp (70 degrees) butter.

This mixture also works just great on my boots instead of buying the pricey SnowSeal.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom

Reply to
tom

You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon?

(re-insert smiley face)

Reply to
stoutman

Yep it was a baboon. I forgot that a baboon was a type of monkey. :(

Ooooo eeeeeee.

(re-insert smiley face)

Reply to
stoutman

Stoutman wrote: > (I wrote:)What a baboon....(insert smiley face here) Tom You obviously don't know a monkey when you hear one. Baboon? (re-insert smiley face)

It was a simianaly, dagnabbit! Tom

Reply to
tom

I get it now. Gosh!

I'm just a simian, give me a break. :) ( i inserted the smiley for your convenience)

Reply to
stoutman

Arrgh! Baboons are apes, not monkeys! Old World monkeys, New World monkeys, lesser apes and great apes are the groupings to remember. Calling a baboon a monkey is like calling a Nicholson #49 a measuring device.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

There are hobbyists who make their own perfumes, lotions and soaps. The suppliers for that hobby sell lanolin in jugs. Add some lanolin to your beeswax boot sealer. You can also use the extra lanolin to soothe your face after trying unusual methods of shaving. 8-#

You can play around with the solvent mix in your screw-wax tub. I started with mineral oil, then lightened it up with this and that 'til I got the consistency I like. Or, stick with the mineral oil and add a few drops of Ronsonol every few weeks.

Bolts get a taste of propane torch, then get rubbed on the Gulfwax chunk.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Or - you could stop by a sewing store and get some beeswax used to wax thread. Not as icky sticky and just as useful.

Reply to
George

And the next line of the song is: Walla Walla Bing Bang......

Reply to
Robert Bonomi