Thought I'd share my progress with my Craftsman 10" table saw... Had a
few close calls and decided that I really should have a guard on the
beastie... Did a little prowling thru the archives and found a link to
a good set of plans for an overhead guard made out of lexan :
I made a few modifications to the plans but was pleased with the end
result inspite of that fact... ;-)
This link takes you to some pics of the saw and the guard and shows the
other modifications I've done to it.
The guard is made of 3/8" lexan and has an overhead mounted armature
assembly that allows you to raise and lower it.
The plans I got from the link had a dust collection port included... I
decided to not do that part right now... I have dust collection on the
the bottom of the saw and want to see how that works out once I seal up
the back around the motor.
The other slight change was I didn't happen to have any 1" aluminium
tubing or flat alum. stock laying around, I did have an ash board that
wasn't doing anything... So I cut that to the required dimensions and
used it for the parts instead. I did use a steel unibrace for the top
section where I attached it to the ceiling via brackets and some
plywood... (I'll have to include pics of that later)
Besides, (and I mean absolutely no offense to the original designer)
it's a wood shop I kinda liked the idea of using wood for it... :-)
A few minor adjustments I still have in mind are... the top armature
assembly sticks out right now a bit longer than I'd like. My plan is
to cut it down to the same point as the motor sticks out and hang a
counter weight off of it to balance the guard. This should also make
adjustments easier. I'm also going to get some knobs to use instead of
the wing nuts that I used on the adjustment arm... The 1/4" wing nuts
work fine, but are a bit small to get ahold of and the knobs aren't
So far I have about $50 total in the guard and assembly... the wood and
unibrace were free, I just had to come up with the lexan, hardware, and
time for it. :-) I got the lexan off eBay and the hardware at the
local Tractor Supply.
Now it's on to aligning the bloody thing... I've put that off I suppose
for as long as I've been able, but I know it's off. I have looked it
over and it looks like my only trouble lay with the trunion
alignment... So it's knuckle abuse time to loosen that a bit and
"nudge" it back into whack...
Just thought I'd share... If you have any questions or suggestions
please feel free to ask or share...
Happy New Years to all!!!