Covering MDF

MDF is plentiful and cheap and I was wondering if anyone has any interesting tips about covering it with stains or dyes to give it a more natural look (if that is possible) Faux finishes?

Comments?

Reply to
Brandt in western Canada

If you're going for a real "viewed from a distance" or "stage prop" look, gel stains and "graining", such as can be done to fiberglass, would probably work.

For the most part, I'm with the others, PAINT IT!

Painted correctly, it's hard to tell it from painted wood.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You can try to darken it with a Danish oil type of finish then topcoat with a clear finish. Coupled with SS, aluminum, or black hardware it gives a modern "industrial" look to cabinet doors, etc.. One of my clients built a hi-tech campus and made extensive use of MDF and aluminum throughout. It looks great.

Reply to
mp

More natural what? I think the best you can do is natural looking painted wood or natural looking painted steel.

Reply to
Leon

paint.

dave

Brandt > MDF is plentiful and cheap and I was wondering if anyone has any interesting

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Brandt, I both agree . . . and disagree . . . with Barry.

I made a movable Router Table some time ago. The carcass, including the hinged front door, interior partitions and deflectors, and bit holding sliding shelf are made from 3/4 in MDF.

While the inside is painted with two coats of White sealer {for brightness}, the exterior is finished with an Acrylic, 'Nantucket Blue', paint. Bottom 'kick plate' trim is Mahogany stained Poplar. The top is made from a 3in thick piece of a 'rescued' 'woodgrain Formica' kitchen table. While not exactly 'fine furniture' it all goes together quite well. Even close up, with a couple of coats of inexpensive paint {carefully applied with a cheap foam brush}it looks great and stands up to the 'rough & tumble' of a shop.

"B a r r y" wrote SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

Paint.

Reply to
CW

Cover it with :

(1) Pa> MDF is plentiful and cheap and I was wondering if anyone has any interesting

Reply to
Pat Barber

then again you could use a laminant ,they come in several colors and wood grains and very durable

Reply to
LonE

I prefer the laminates, but the guy wanted options...

Paint is still the least amount of pain...

L> then again you could use a laminant ,they come in several colors and

Reply to
Pat Barber

I made a changing table and just coated with oil-based polyurethane. It's an ultra-modern look, but fits nicely in the right place. Otherwise, paint it, veneer it, or try to find some of that woodgrain paper that is put on particleboard furniture (search for woodgrain contact paper?)

--randy

Reply to
Randy Chapman