countersinking

when i countersink timber for a screwhead my (6 or 8 fluted) bit often cavitates and produces a less than smooth csk. it seems worse on softer woods. please advise how i can improve. rgds Ramon

Reply to
Ramon A

Ramon A. asks:

Get a 1 or 2 flute countersink. Otherwise, slow down the one you've got, and if that doesn't work, add a bit to the speed.

I'm not sure "cavitation" is the word I'd chose, either. Does it form bubbles or pits? Roughly, I'd guess it just roughs it up more than you like.

Charlie Self "Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Has the bit become dull?

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

Woodman

Hi Ramon,

This is quite common IME. Try running it in reverse if you have an awkward piece of wood.

HTH

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Or if using a countersink with multiple flutes, have them at different cutting angles.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

Single flute countersink will help. You might also try countersinking before drilling the holes.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

principles. The

Reply to
CW

This is a common problem when a multi-fluted countersink bit is used in a hand-held drill. Using a drill press (clamp the workpiece) helps. A single-fluted countersink or a Weldon-type bit is nearly essential when countersinking with a hand-held drill.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson