Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber?

Mark & Juanita (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:

| On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:24:03 -0500, "Morris Dovey" | wrote: | || Charlie Self (in || snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com) said: || ||| Mark & Juanita wrote: |||| Frankly, if we are tired of being held hostage to unstable gas |||| prices, we (the people, not the government) need to be looking at |||| alternatives. Increased domestic exploration, identification of |||| alternate fuel sources, etc. The oil industry has been so |||| consolidated for numerous reasons, some due to greed on the part |||| of business, some due to power-lust on the part of governments, |||| some even due to unintended consequences on the part of |||| tree-huggers that competition, for the most part does not exist. |||| What is needed is competition at a higher level. ||| ||| And just as frankly, a solid amount of conservation on the part of ||| the consumer would help a lot. Refusal to buy barge sized vehicles ||| for single person use, better planning of trips and similar ||| tactics would have the oil companies paying attention to their ||| market again, though given the proliferation of 11-12 MPG ||| vehicles over the past decade or so, it might well take many ||| years. || || || || Everyone wants someone /else/ to solve the problem. Preferably at || no cost. || || The "no cost" part is more important than you might guess. In my || day job I sell furnaces that come with a lifetime supply of free || fuel. You'd think they'd sell like hotcakes. || || Think again. | | You are making solar furnaces, right? The problem I've seen with | them, thus far, is that the payback period is so long as to make | the fact that the fuel is free somewhat irrelevant. Maybe your's | are different, if so, I'd be open to more information (although, in | southern AZ, solar air conditioning would be much more | cost-effective).

The energy available for capture by a solar heating panel is determined by the area of the panel - for all panels. Panel efficiency is the percentage of the available energy that is actually delivered. Most of the panels on the market have pretty decent efficiencies - the largest significant difference to the consumer is price (which can vary hugely and seems to be largely unrelated to efficiency.)

The payback period depends on the costs associated with that portion of the heating done by a conventional system replaced by solar. The payback period in southern Arizona will probably be longer than that for northern Minnesota, but how much longer I don't really know...

The first collectors that I built for myself in southern Minnesota way more than paid for themselves in their _first_ heating season. I'll stick my neck out to estimate that my current generation of collectors will pay for themselves here /before/ their second heating season is over.

I wish I could offer you a solution to the AC problem. It's doable - just picture the flame-powered refrigerator used in some campers with the flame replaced with heat captured from a parabolic concentrator. 'Tisn't simple; but neither is it rocket surgery. [Remember when I was asking about calculating the length of a parabola? I was working on the refrigeration problem.]

Morris Dovey

| "Morris Dovey" || || The "no cost" part is more important than you might guess. In my || day job I sell furnaces that come with a lifetime supply of free || fuel. You'd think they'd sell like hotcakes. | | I can't figure that one out. Back in the late 70's solar was | getting some government money and the industry was starting to | move. Then the funds dried up and people just did not want to | invest or pay the initial cost. I would have though the past 12 to | 15 months you'd have people lined up at the door waiting to buy.

That government money was made available as grants to produce buildings for the "Solar Demonstration Project" but the project requirements made the involvement not worthwhile for anyone other than ivory tower types and professional grantsters. The money was, I think, all spent; but the results weren't terribly useful in the real world. I investigated applying for one of the grants, but decided against. It wasn't until ten years later that I could afford (barely) to go ahead and build my design.

| I would have thought that most any new house built today would have | a least a partial solar heat supplemented by other fuel.

You'd think so wouldn't you? Somehow the architectural design profs never caught on. I guess there wasn't much motivation to learn and teach about alternative energy technologies of any kind if one had tenure. Without architects on board, it isn't happening. Consider it another failure of our education system to respond to a changing world.

Morris Dovey

having a federal government bought and owned by oil companies couldn't possibly have anything to do with that, I'm sure....

Reply to
bridger

I don't know what they're called, but: run a gazillion feet of tubing underground, pump water through it and have a heat exchanger where the furnace used to be. In the Great White North the tubing is installed in a deep vertical hole. In southern AZ they put it in a less-deep trench. DAGS; you'll be glad you did.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Australopithecus scobis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@die.spammer.die:

geothermal heat pump?