Coping: A lost art?

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: // massive snip

Tom,

That's one helluva writeup on how to cope joints. I've saved this, as I'll be attempting to add molding in our (old) house at some point in the (hopefully sort of)near future.

Your post here is a prime example of how this newsgroup can be (and often is) one of the best resources on the net for woodworking

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

This is great advice Tom. I took a course at the local college last year on baseboards and I did learn a few things but you just taught me way more in a

60 second write-up. It's just to bad you didn't put it the form of one of your humorous stories - I get a kick out of those. I still go back and read that one about the Ryobi portable table saw once in a while for a good chuckle. Thanks for the advice and instruction.

---BeerBoy

Reply to
BeerBoy

El Guano... :)

Reply to
Silvan

I agree. I'n my house I personally coped all the inside base and crown corners, paying carefull attention to location of coped and butt ends when entering exiting rooms and areas. I did however mitre, restain, and glue the chair rail corners. they just looked wrong at the level coped. I don;t know why, maybe it was the profile.... Did it take longer? You betcha. Was it worth it? I think it was.

There are a few quicker techinques when installing paint grade base that makes mitering corners much faster, especially for contract work. Granted, acceptable levels of quality have deteriorated over the years, but the job still needs to be done right. Paint grade we glue and shim the corners together and the paitners caulk in the gap between the base and the wall. this works well on base with a larger top edge than with a narrower one. Stain grade is coped. One dedicated guy pre-copes pc, while the others cut and nail.

It should be noted that I am now convinced that I am one of the only remaining few contractors in South Fla. that even knows what a coped joint is......sigh....

Bossman

Reply to
Bossman

I do the same. Nice pics on your site. Would like to see some of the detail a little better though.

Bossman

Reply to
Bossman