continous tile flooring

I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, piss, afterbirth, blood and vomit from one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold. Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Damn, sounds like my old dorm room on Monday mornings!!!

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

More similar than you might realise, some of the females are neat and clean, others, not so much.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

It has been years since I watched this being done, so I don't remember how they rounded it up, but the installer cut the flooring to fit the area. Once they had all of the cuts and the floor covered they had a machine that used a hot wire to melt the flooring and seal the joint.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

the shelter where i work had a facility that had epoxy coating on the cement slab that went about 6" up the wall. that made it pretty easy to mop or hose out.

Reply to
chaniarts

The room will be 9 and half feet X 15 feet, so I dont have to worry about joining the seams, if I can get the edges rounded up.

I could build the curve out of flashing and "great stuff" behind it, that would take a good quantity of foam though.

Reply to
basilisk

I'll look into the epoxy idea, unfortunately this isn't going to be where I can hose it out, but the ability to mop it easily is essential.

Reply to
basilisk

basilisk wrote in news:18d3p1cdq6cwk$.1fwyxhn7us9pg$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

*snip*

If you're going to build up something out of foam, start with a base of the beadboard stuff or decent quality insulation foam (pink or blue). Then if you need something to adhere to the foam and flooring, use the great stuff. At ~$4 a can, vs $8 for a 4x8 sheet of 1" beadboard (prices are approximate and probably outdated) you'll quickly get more than 2 cans worth of foam for the same price.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sounds like my grandkids have been around...Hey, if cost isn't a great concern look up terazzo flooring. Continuous and seemless and seems like it goes up the walls a bit too. Check out this link.

RP

I'd think a mortared cove would be better.

Reply to
Nova

The cove doesn't have to have a big radius. The objective is to provide enough of a radius to allow the flooring to make a smooth transition onto the wall, avoid a sharp corner which would eventually crack, and to avoid having a tough-to-clean corner.

Mortar or thinset struck off with a screed cut to the proper radius is an easy way to achieve the correct curvature.

RicodJour

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:08:40 -0500, basilisk wrote the following:

Wouldn't you rather just ride your bike into a deer?

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:08:40 -0500, basilisk wrote the following:

Sorry, the link was on wreck.metalheads, not here, so you probably didn't catch my drift. Here ya go:

ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

a rather unconventional approach to medicine.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I was thinking Barracks ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I've buily two of them to use as cycloramas for photography.

The first was about 50 years ago. I built a wood frame and bent masonite to it. Fine for me, no good for you, too great a radius.

The second time I just ran mortar along the wall and stuck it off. Worked fine, radius was about the size of a softball.

Reply to
dadiOH

I think you and Nova are right, the material to mortar in a radius will be cheap and won't take long to do.

At 9.5 feet wide I can extend the sheet flooring about 16 inches up the wall, which is a good 8 inches taller than a corgis butt, all the waste should wind up where it can be mopped.

Walls are going to be 3/8 plywood overlaid with 1/8 melamine hardboard, should be very durable and sanitary.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Dilbert's Ultimate House (DUH) is currently offline but you can find a picture here:

I recall, he had a pet room that was tiled. Again, from my porous memory, it had:

  • Sloped floors to a central drain.
  • A shelf next to the windows that held kitties looking out as well as their needs (food, water, litter box). The cats could jump up to take care of business, but the dogs couldn't get to the cat's food.
*. A hose bib and hose hanger on the wall.
  • Storage cabinets.
  • Double doors, one with a cat/dog door. Homeowner could close the second door preventing exit by the animal from the pet room.
  • Room also opened to the outside of the home.
Reply to
HeyBub

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:27:34 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

Then I'm damned glad I missed both. And if I had my druthers, dogs would be debarked and all new dogs would be bred

-without- their goddamned vocal cords.

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's called cove stick. Just glue or nail it into the floor/wall intersection. Art

Reply to
Artemus