concealed doors for giant plasma television

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Chatting with a cabinetmaker the other day, who was building something for his best client (his wife). $1500 for the monitor. $1800 for the lift. Then he still ahd to build the casework.

Maybe this one is priced less expensively?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Lou...

Man, there are a million pros and cons on the DLP vs Plasma vs LCD. Here are a few thoughts:

LCD - it's like a laptop... if a pixel goes dead, it stays dead unless they replace it. Picture quality is subjective.

Plasma - Thin... but expensive and with a fixed lifespan that depends on the quality. A $8500 50 inch panasonic is going to last longer and look better than a $2900 special no-name at Costco. My guy told me (and he sells plenty of plasma sets) that after about 8-10 years, you can throw away the Plasma set because there is nothing slavageable... the screen just slowly deteriorates (even on the best sets) after say 5 years whereas the LCD and DLP sets are as good as new once you install a new bulb (assuming the thing is not hit by lightning!)

DLP - Yes, the bulbs have a lifespan, but the actual lifespan is longer than you noted. My dealer (a friend also) told me the bulbs should last about 8000 hours if you use care. There are new DLPs coming out that are less than 10" thick. How they fold the picture I don't know, but they've had demo's at consumer electronic shows. They are expensive and big sets right now... maybe 70"+?

I did a lot of research (maybe 6 months) before buying this particular set. Samsung was the first DLP, but Mitsubishi leapfrogged them with newer technology. Even among the various DLP brands... there is a wide variety of features and picture quality available, and I'll be the first to admit its a fluid thing. Last November, Mitsubishi clearly had the best technology out there IMHO. Samsung intro'd a new set shortly after, but the DLP engine still wasn't up to the Mits engine. And as far as the bulb goes... it is better to leave these sets on rather than turn them on and off 20 minutes later. The bulb needs the cool-down period after it goes off, so if you're smart you get the backup power supply just in case. Also, the wholesale price of the bulbs is around $200 or less, so by the time you need one, I suspect you'll be able to buy one online for near that price.

All I know is that you will not be prepared for the picture quality. I am amazed everytime I watch a NFL or MLB game... not to mention PBS. If they start showing TOH in HD... you're gonna'see particles of sawdust flying around Norm that you never saw before. And you'll see wood grain and other details that are unreal. You can see the stiching on player's jerseys with my set. The other thing you should keep in mind is size. Get the biggest set your room can handle. I almost bought a 52" and I have a 14+ X 21' family room. Never regretted the 62" once.

Sorry for the rant guys. Threw in the TOH stuff to keep it honest. :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike