Cold shop?

|| You may also want to cool your house. How does a zero || operating cost strike you? | | ZOC is great as long as initial investment and amortized | ownership costs are below what a conventional system would cost.

Yes - and here is where the fluidyne (a short name for a liquid piston stirling cycle engine) absolutely shines for a limited set of applications.

The engine itself is a plumbing construct, partly filled with water and the remainder filled with a air. There are no special requirements: neither the water nor the air need be particularly clean and there is no pressurization.

This engine operates at temperatures below the boiling point of water and without producing particularly high pressures. The only moving parts are the air and water; and there aren't any "wear points".

The diameters and lengths of the plumbing elements are important; but there doesn't appear to be any need to be fussy about precision.

If you knew the plumbing measurements, you could probably build your second engine out of (mostly) schedule 40 PVC pipe in less than a half hour. The engine could be expected to outlast your (great-?)grandchildren if you protected it from UV and abuse.

If you powered it from a flat-panel solar collector, you'd probably want to replace the polycarbonate glazing every quarter-century or so. A 6mm x 48" x 96" sheet of twin-wall polycarbonate glazing cost me about $40 last time I shopped for it.

I don't yet have exact numbers on what this thing is going to cost to produce (I'll guess less than US$100/HP for engine and collector); and I don't even have a clue as to what conventional systems cost to produce, operate, or maintain - so I can't help much with your cost analysis.

| IMO, this is where solar is having problems right now. Sure, I can | get panels that would generate enough electricity to run my house

Agreed. Photovoltaics are over-priced and under-efficient; and, as long as people are willing to pay too much for too little, improvements will come slowly.

I don't have the resources to solve the photovoltaic production cost problem (there is at least one that I'm aware of) so I don't waste my time on it - but electricity doesn't necessarily provide the best solution for /all/ problems.

If solar is having problems, it's because people insist on a "magic bullet" - a single, comprehensive solution to all energy problems - and solar is not a magic bullet (at least not yet).

Morris Dovey

Not solar but,

In Houston an industrial office complex near my home has a particular all concrete building that uses water pipes that run under ground to cool the building. The building is about 3000 sq ft and the owner had the system installed after he bought the building. 10 years ago he told me that his average cooling bill was about $30 per month.

Reply to
Leon

What you have stated is true unless you're off grid to begin with. My shop and home in SW Colorado is on solar electric power. Solar equipment plus install was a wash with bringing in a power line. I'm set with 240 volt power, close to 1800 watts of panels, and enough battery to run things for a few days (shop tools) or a week (house w/o shop) plus I have no monthly bill. Only problem is that I'm not using it most of the time since I'm back in Phx permanently. It would be nice to be selling that much power back to the power company but the $25 grand needed to hook up power kind of messes up that idea!

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Here is a chea[ way to heat your shop....

Mapdude

|| IMO, this is where solar is having problems right now. Sure, I can || get panels that would generate enough electricity to run my house | | | | Agreed. Photovoltaics are over-priced and under-efficient; and, as | long as people are willing to pay too much for too little, | improvements will come slowly. | | I don't have the resources to solve the photovoltaic production cost | problem (there is at least one that I'm aware of)

Y'know, I hate when people claim to have the solution to one of my problems but refuse to tell me what it is - but I realized that was exactly what /I'd/ done here! Please accept my apologies.

A technical discussion of photovoltaic production is surely off-topic; but in an effort to live by the golden rule, I've put up a web page with a drawing showing a mechanism and a process for making very inexpensive waferless solar cells. You can find it at the link below.

Now, what's really fun is that while I was putting the drawing together, I had a flash of insight as to how these cells might be incorporated into one of my air-heating panels in such a way that _both_ sides of the cells could be used for power generation - I don't think the power output would be doubled; but it might come close...

Morris Dovey