Cherry or cherrywood

I've noticed some people (some woodworkers, some not) refer to cherry as cherrywood (said as if it is one word). Even David Marks on Wood Works on DIY used the term "cherrywood". Is this a regional phenomenon or is there some other reason? It seems unlikely it is used to distinguish between the wood and the fruit.

John

Reply to
falsedawn2

Reminds me of the "soda", "sodapop" variation.

David

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
David