Chair Design

Howdy All, I've been looking for resources on wood chair design. Google turned up 6 dead ends, thus I turn to this group. I have several books, but they don't address the basics very well and are more interested in the "fussy" type of chair, rahter than the basic. Thanks in advance

Reply to
KarlB

Fine Woodworking, Jeff MIller - author, Taunton Press

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Taunton's website, while not free, has a world of information on chair building and design that is worth the price of admission, IMO.

a blow by blow of a roll-ur-own project/design, and perhaps some ideas along the way, take a look at Projects, page 10, on my website below.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reply to
Swingman

Sun, Jun 3, 2007, 3:40pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (KarlB) doth sayeth: Howdy All, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I've been looking for resources on wood chair design. Google turned up 6 dead ends, thus I turn to this group. I have several books, but they don't address the basics very well and are more interested in the "fussy" type of chair, rahter than the basic.

You wants basic? No prob. Basic means support fo your butt and your back. If there's no support for your back, that would make t a stool, not a chair. A basic chair would be a stump, with a board nailed to it to support your back. Or, you could go a bit more advanced.

Another pssibility would be to add some detais about what you're actually loking for.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

This is quite possibly the worst spec I've ever seen. A chair could be anything from a upside down milk crate to an imperial throne. Since you don't want something fussy, that rules out the latter. Still the variation is huge. Taunton has a book that includes a pretty basic slat back dining chair with an upholstered seat. The book itself is a collage of Fine Woodworking articles. It might be a good place to start.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Try "The Chairmaker's Workshop" by Drew Langsner for Windsor & Post-and-Rung chairs.

Reply to
GrayFox

Mon, Jun 4, 2007, 5:22am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Jeff) doth sayeth: This is quite possibly the worst spec I've ever seen. A chair could be anything from a upside down milk crate

Nah, it's about par for the course, few bother with any detaila about what they actually mean.

Nope, a milk crate would be more a stool rather than an actual chair, no back support. You'd need three, stack two against a wall, then one in front of them, sit on the one, lean on the two stacked ones, and the wall will keep them from sliding. Basic chair, just what the guy asked for. LMAO