Chainsaw sharpener from Lee Valley

Anyone used any of the chainsaw sharpeners from Lee Valley? Do you recommend the file tool that clamps onto the chainsaw bar, or the diamond dremel tool sharpeners?

Thanks in advance for any comments, YJJim

Reply to
YJJim

On Tue 30 Dec 2003 07:05:53a, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (YJJim) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I've found I do a better job with the manual clamp-on-the-bar model. You're only supposed to give those teeth one or two strokes, and every tooth has to get exactly the same treatment as every other tooth. Same angle, same amount of steel taken away, etc. It's easier for me to do two strokes with the file at a clamped angle. Zip zip, move. Zip zip, move. Takes less time to sharpen the chain than it does to set it up. Unless you're resharpening a completely dull chain - in which case I take mine in - you need to take off so little that the Dremel tool is overkill. The manual one fits in the chainsaw case so it's always there and you don't need to take your Dremel everywhere you take the saw.

No offense meant to Robin or Lee Valley in general, but those clamp-ons are sold anywhere you can buy chain saw supplies and I've never found a major difference in any of them.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan -

No offense taken - they ARE sold just about everywhere, except when your only store's a mailbox....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Thanks Dan,

Never having used one, I didn't know if they were all the same. Most folks here rave about Lee Valley, so I figured theirs would be good quality.

YJJim

Reply to
YJJim

On Tue 30 Dec 2003 12:42:50p, "Robin Lee" wrote in news:HFjIb.5442$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

...and you've already got about twelve items on the list already, what's one more? Point well taken. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I use the diamond sharpeners that fit a Dremel. The last chain I bought turned out to be so hard that when it finally needed sharpening it would take all the teeth off a file. It was impossible to sharpen with a file. The diamond bits work great, it only takes a fraction of a second per tooth and my chain is good for another large job.

Reply to
Eric Tonks