Centering router on table base

The CW entity posted thusly:

That's where I saw it.

How would you do the equivalent of a crosscut on a router table? Say I wanted to make some equally spaced slots in the edge of a board that's say, 12" long? My approach (admittedly coloured by Bobby's Router Show) would be to use a sled running on a bushing with a spacer block the width of the bit, offset from the bit by the spacing desired, to allow for the work to be slid over for each cut.

As you might have guessed, my first projects will be a few jigs and fixtures.

OK, I see that, but what about the scenario I just mentioned?

Or does everyone here just measure for each cut and forgo the jig methods?

Reply to
Oleg Lego

The method CW disparages is a super way of making dados and dovetails for sliding dovetails, because if the fenced portion of your jig is perpendicular to the slot which you run on your guide, it will always be so. I love it for quick work on piece no more than 5" across. Wider is possible with broader sleds, but I made my first jig out of leftover Pergo, which limited me. Make with bigger stock, not a problem at any width.

For equally spaced dados or sliding dovetails, you can simply clamp a fence to straddle with the dado or dovetail grove you make first. Works great. Same principle as the box-joint jig which is so head-smacking simple that I threw away tablesaw versions after the first few uses of the straddle fence.

Pattern routing with a bushing is no great problem, just remember the difference between your pattern and the product. Pattern routing bits with bearings above or below may be used as well, but they have a fixed diameter. With the bushing rout, you can chuck up a 3/16" or a 1" with the same pattern, since with the proper bushing, you're routing offset the same amount from the pattern.

Reply to
George

Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 12:19am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@spamslam.com (Oleg=A0Lego) doth posteth: I don't know what to call the operation, but using a guide bushing as a sort of 'fence' looks to me like it would be real handy. They look kind of neat, but aren't they overkill and useful for only a few types of operations?

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, I just use my router table with a flush trim bit for routing out patterns. If I was gonna use a guide bushing, it's be holding the router, and routing out a pattern - not in the table.

Dunno, never used a pin router. But, probably. Would let you just use straight bits tho.

You might want to check out Pat Warner's site. He's the Router Guy.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 3:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@wherever.com (dadiOH) doth claimeth: Most of us (I would guess) have a large hole in our table inserts to accomodate big bits. However, little bits are used much more frequently and a big hole with them is a PITA;

That's an interesting concept. I don't use large bits; and, personally, I find a large holei is a help in changing bits, and don't see a need for an insert.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

You seem to be familiar with that show so I will use their techniques as illustration. Ever see them do box joints? Same set up works for the slots you describe. They have actually done it that way on the show. No bushing required.

Reply to
CW

I'd rather just lift out the router and change them on top of the table. _______________

You will if you ever dip the end of a narrow piece of wood into that big hole :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

The CW entity posted thusly:

I have seen only about 15 or 20 shows, and may not have seen any that show a different way to make box joints. One that I did see involved the bushing/sled idea.

I can envision using a miter gauge/slot, but that would seem to me to be awkward. I'll keep my eye out for the box joints.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Doubt it on box joints. They use this one.

up this one for your dados.
thing to have the hold downs so your piece stays tight to the sled, should you make your own.

Reply to
George

The George entity posted thusly:

the sled were for the fancy windows in a corner cabinet. They made false framing for it (or 'in it') as Bob is fond of saying.

definitely want to make one of those.

Yup. One of the things on the 'soon to make' list is a set of cam clamps. I have a few hold-downs on order.

Reply to
Oleg Lego