Cedar Glue Questions

I got a nice load of cedar wood reclaimed from an an old deck. I am putting Mr. Lumber Wizard to work.

Question about indoor gluing. If I want to make a basic panel, do I use the same methods and get the same results from gluing, say, oak or birch?

Question about outdoor gluing. If I want to make longer 1 X 4 rails for an outdoor bench out of shorter (true) 1 X 4, will a lap joint and glue work, or should I use a more elaborate joint or a special kind of glue?

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

Yes

Maybe. I'd use Titebond II or III, or some other water resistant glue. And I'd probably use my router and a 1:12 taper jig to make a tapered scarf joint rather than a simple lap joint, if I wanted more strength (more long grain to long grain in the joint). But making the overlap in the lap joint longer could achieve the same thing.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I haven't had any problems gluing cedar.

For the bench, I would probably double it up and stagger the joints. And when in doubt, epoxy.

Reply to
LEGEND65