Cabinet Touch Sensitive Light Switch Activating Itself?

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small, round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

"RonB" wrote During the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I am assuming there are no safety concerns.

Yep, no problems.

I always called touch lights my "power interruption sensors."

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two internal halogen puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small, round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at least one brief power interruption during this period.

Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I am assuming there are no safety concerns.

RonB

I's the switch protected by a surge protector? You may need a new switch.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 5 May 2011 19:20:43 -0600, RonB wrote (in article ):

The touch dimmers in our house always go full-on after a brief power outage. It's nice to know that all your high intensity lights have been full on for

24/7 after returning from a vacation.....

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Imagine a return to full intensity after a power outage caused by an earthquake. Some of the lamps would be on the floor, or maybe on top of a stack of papers... (Sorry, ex-Californian mindset.)

Time for a switch to CFL or LED, Bruce. HI lights are a fire hazard as well as a complete waste of electricity.

-- I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar and often convincing. -- Oscar Wilde

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 6 May 2011 19:05:14 -0600, Larry Jaques wrote (in article ):

Yep, scary thought!

I agree, sorta. The chandelier above the dining room table just wouldn't provide the same 'atmosphere' with CFLs, neither would the fish tank. Besides, I've spent more on 1000 hour CFLs that I've save in electricty. Some seem to last a long time, most seem to die in their youth (both the el-cheapo imports and some higher dollar 'quality' bulbs).

LEDs are getting there, they just need to come down a bit in price. The new replacements for the LV halogens have my interest.

I now keep the 'power outage indicating' touch-dimmers switched 'off' when not in use. As remodeling continues, these get replaced with dimmers that are more functional than exotic....

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce