cabinet advice

Hey all,

Working on design for kitchen cabs -- hoping to get some advice from the verterans

One question I am struggling with now deals with heavy counter tops (aka stone / granite / marble) on frameless cabinets. Is there an upper limit on the width of the cabinet (for support reasons) Would it make sense to make a 36" wide cabinet with no center stile ? what about 30"

Also whats the popular vote ? Do most of you make the base of the cabinet seperate from the cabinet itself? I have seen it done either way, some make a base of 1x4 and the put cabinet boxes on top, others make the base / toekick into each cabinet. Seems to me that if I build an integtral toe kick I need sheet material 34.5" tall while if I make a seperate base I only need sheet material 31.5" (Assuming 3" toe kick). The difference between

31.5" and 34.5" is getting an extra two sides (base cabinets) from a 4'x8' sheet

Any sage advice ?

Cheers Eric

Reply to
SamTheCat

I like a separate base. Its easier for me to shim and level a base than an entire set of cabinetry.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I usually go the route of a separate base. A little taller however @ 4 x5" or sometimes 5x5". It allows for easy leveling of the entire run of cabinets plus it enables you to get 6 cabinet sides (standard size cabinets) from a single sheet of ply with plenty left for trimming squaring etc. My supplier sets aside damaged pieces for me that may have an inch or so loss but since the sides are shorter using a base I can still use it and get it for half price! Works for me.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz