Buying Online - Hard Maple and Oak

I wasn't talking about when the tree is harvested (nor about sap wood) but about the conditions as it grew.

It's a matter of the ring sizes, both absolute and relative to one another. A tree that grows rapidly has wider rings than the same type of tree that grows slowly and lumber from it will appear different...wider rings, more difference between light and dark. Like that. Long summers/short winters = lumber with wider light rings.

Reply to
dadiOH

IIRC, It makes a difference whether the bark falls off the wood or not. With sap=yes, Without sap = no.

Reply to
Bill

Oh, well that makes sense.

Still, Bill indicated the darkness of the rings was maybe directly related to the season, I was wondering if he thought that would matter when selecting the boards.

Reply to
Leon

Well there you go again, that would make a good reason but I would think just the opposite.

Reply to
Leon

It is. The darker wood is from when the tree was growing slowly. What I called "winter wood"; a better phrase is "late wood".

Depends on what one wants I guess :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Are you saying that the wood through out the tree is darker in the winter? I wonder how/why the inside heart wood of the tree changes color.

Reply to
Leon

On 11/15/2013 5:34 PM, dadiOH wrote: Snip

Boy I think this is getting out of hand. LOL

Bill indicated

I think the winter wood accounts for the dark-colored part of the annual ring, and the summer wood for the lighter-colored part.

Regardless of when the wood is harvested the color of the rings light and dark will always be present. IMHO, given his comment about the color of the part of the ring being dependent on the season in which it was growing, one should not be able to look a board cut in winter or summer and be able to tell when it cut.

Reply to
Leon

No. dadiOH was saying that where your wood was grown will affect the growth rings (the width corresponding to the amount of spring/summer growth, versus winter growth (the darker part)).

I know that the season in which one cuts the wood affects whether the bark stays on easily or not. IIRC, if there is sap close to the cambium layer, then the bark can release (fall off) easier.

There were some sidetracks in this thread. I host this helps to clear things up. I already designated dadiOH I the person with the most knowledge on the matter. So I have let him answer before me.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Right.

Reply to
dadiOH

I am able to sometimes bring the world relatively useless information that is sometimes accurate. The rest of the time I just make stuff up :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Or more likely, the frozen ground (yes, it was the far north) at that time of year made snaking them out of hte woods easier...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal