brushed shellac vs. padding

I have been reading quite a bit on applying shellac. One thing I keep coming back to is the padding method. I understand you pad on a thin coat, then when you've reached the end, go back to where you started and repeat process several times. I haven't worked up the courage to try it, but I have been brushing with #1.5 with okay results. I understand once you lay down a layer don't go back and brush anymore because shellac dries so quickly. My question is why can't I simulate the padding method with a brush? Not the result, just the method. By that I mean brush on the first layer, then when I've finished the surface go back to the beginning and repeat, like padding. I've only read about brushing on 1 layer then wait.

Reply to
Andrew

[...]

It's beyond "okay results".

Pad, or pad not. There is no "try".

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

With the pad you can get rid of marks by adding a lubricant to the pad - French polishing.

You can also sit at the dining room table or the table in the ready room and watch TV while you're polishing.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Bob Bowles

I've been trying out a yardsale hairdrier to move warm air over the shellacked piece. Helps the "flash" in my chilly workshop. Can't get too close nor too hot, else the alcohol makes blisters.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I can do this at the dining table/watching TV because there is less harmful vapors with padding comparaed to brushing? Or what is the reason?

Reply to
Andrew

Start to finish capability before halftime.

Ability to jump up and go on a run by throwing the rag on the table and putting the tip on a squeeze bottle.

And then there's the beauty and depth of finish ....

Reply to
George

You want the solvent to go away fast so you can put on another thin coat. I don't yet understand why that's better than putting on a thick coat and waiting longer. The payoff might be that the drying time increases exponentially with thickness of coat.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Patience, grasshopper. Finishing well can hone the edge of patience. If the shop is chilly, how about one of the halogen work lights... cheap, a source of illumination and a chance for a tan! Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

I tried an incandescent, but that was too hot.

During warm weather, putting on all those coats is fun. (That sounds odd...)

Then there was the time I mistook my tub of oil+rottenstone for my tub of shellac+pumice, and tried to fill the grain. Not only didn't it work, but the shellac rubbed off. Whoops.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Feces occurs! But Ill bet it was SMOOOOTH! Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Of course, but padding also consolidates the finish better than laying a thicker film and hoping consolidation can outrace evaporation.

No sanding between coats, either.

Reply to
George

Reply to