Breathing air from oilless compressors

Are the Campbell Hausefeld compressors rated for "breathing" air? I have a Gast oilless that is rated, but it is getting old.

Reply to
Greg

Depends on where you're going to breathe it. Minor contaminates at 1 atmosphere can kill at several atmospheres (underwater). I wouldn't.

Reply to
My Old Tools

This type of question is better asked directly of Campbell Hausefeld than a usenet newsgroup. Imagine what the results of bad advice could be at 100ft below sea level...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I have a Gast hookah that I do use at +1 atmosphere or less but I am really just interested in a spray mask used at sea level +10 feet here. I know CH may have an answer but I didn't want to repave that rocky "press 1 if you have a pulse" road, if someone here had done it.

Reply to
Greg

For that type of application, I suspect you don't even need an air compressor. Get a good squirrel cage blower and some ductwork to the spray mask. Mount the squirrel cage where you would have the compressor (well away from the spray booth). It should easily be capable of maintaining positive pressure without the danger of oil in the airstream.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'd sure want to directly ask CH about the specific model before I went sponge fishing.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I suspect that the question was aimed at the use of the compressor to support air-supplied respirators.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mon, Aug 2, 2004, 3:46pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence=A0Wasserman) wisely sayss: I'd sure want to directly ask CH about the specific model before I went sponge fishing.

Yeah, I'd be nervous about that long electric cord, out to the boat, too.

Same principle as questions about glue I guess. Why read the label, and call the 1-800 number, when you can ask here? If you got bad, or wrong, advice from the manufacturer, you'd at least have someone you could sue.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

It'd probably still be better to check with the manufacturer wouldn't it?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

:>I have a Gast hookah that I do use at +1 atmosphere or less but I am really :>just interested in a spray mask used at sea level +10 feet here. :>I know CH may have an answer but I didn't want to repave that rocky "press 1 if :>you have a pulse" road, if someone here had done it.

: For that type of application, I suspect you don't even need an air : compressor. Get a good squirrel cage blower and some ductwork to the spray : mask. Mount the squirrel cage where you would have the compressor (well : away from the spray booth). It should easily be capable of maintaining : positive pressure without the danger of oil in the airstream.

Or use the output of your shop vac.

Reply to
bob

Maybe a brand new one but I am certainly not breathing the air out of MY shop vac. It has a lot of the same crap in it that I wear a respirator for in the first place. I am starting to think rebuilding my Gast may be the best path and put it on an electric motor.

Reply to
Greg

just make sure it's an "outdoor rated" cord....

Reply to
bridger

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And seal the connections with Titebond III!

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in

Bahhh! Duct tape!