Board n' Baton siding question

When putting board n' baton siding on a building, and the boards aren't long enough to go from top to bottom, what is the proper way to "join" the boards. Butt joints would be the easiest but I think that be a place for rot to start. Using rough pine with no preservatives btw.

Do you overlap a couple of inches? How do you finish the corners where the gap would be?

Do you cut a 45 on each board so the overlap doesn't stick out an inch? This would take more time but would leave a cleaner looking building. Should shed the water and keep it from rotting too.... I think.

What would you do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan RSG Roll call:

Bryan Berguson

ahem. that would be board and batten siding.

I'd scarf them. basically a butt joint, but angled at about 30 degrees so that the joint drains to the outside of the building.

Reply to
bridger

Thanks for the correction! I was so involved with thinking of the best way to do it that I never considered the correct spelling. Board and baton would make a silly looking siding now wouldn't it.

That's the way I was leaning but was looking for some support on the idea.

Thanks!!!

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan Berguson

And put a backer behind the joint, or make it on a purlin. I think it's nuts not to use a stain, or at least clear preservative, preferably on both sides, unless you really don't want it ot last. Try to keep the bottom ends dry and away from the ground. Wilson

Reply to
Wilson

Just reminds me - Did some board and batten work back in the late 80's for a guy who would buy houses and quick rehab them to convert to SRO housing. Did as good a job as I could until he wanted me to run romex between the new & old siding, at which point I quit - God, I wonder what those places look like now! My only advice: at least use galv screws to fasten the battens, not nails.

Reply to
BUB 209

I have faced exactly this problem in the past. I opted to splice the pieces. Since we are talking about rough pine, the pine shrunk as it dried and now there is a horizontal water trap. On my latest building with B&B, I used full length boards; that meant 16 footers for the end peaks but at least there will not be a water trap. IMHO there is nothing wrong with nailing battens on. I use 2 1/4 galvanized ring nails.

Reply to
Dave W

Yes, on the backer board. It's a 2X8 that doubles as a floor joist for the upstairs "play room" for my boy. Bottom ends will be well away from the ground except on one corner. I have to do some digging there. The floor system is all treated so that's not a problem.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan Berguson